Sign in to follow this  
Lambchop

No mechanical report bca

Hi what’s everyone’s experiences with cars with no mechanical report on bca. Are they all scrappers or is there another reason they haven’t had 1 ? . I’ve found the ones with the essential check are way off anyway as if they’ve checked another car . 

Depends on where it’s coming from, I’ve had a few main dealer cars with no report as most of them don’t pay for mechanical reports on cars older than 6-10 years, all have been fine. If it’s not from a main dealer then avoid or proceed with caution, only car without a report that I got (that wasn’t a main dealer one) was one that I won for low enough price that it was worth a punt, it arrived with a major misfire but I lucked out as it was just a faulty coil pack.

• Haha 1

I wouldn’t risk buying older stuff with no description online.With physical auctions you get a close up feel of a car .In the distant past ( when cars were cheap to fix ),I would often buy non runners but only if the opening bidding was quick which usually meant they had been doctored.It is worth finding a physical auction with good main dealer vendors even if you have to travel long distances.

Thanks for the reply’s , will keep the ones from main dealers as an option from now on. Hopefully get lucky lol . I’m mainly looking for cheap cars that need paintwork/ body work but mechanically are ok. 

On 10/8/2023 at 10:17 AM, trade vet said:

I wouldn’t risk buying older stuff with no description online.With physical auctions you get a close up feel of a car .In the distant past ( when cars were cheap to fix ),I would often buy non runners but only if the opening bidding was quick which usually meant they had been doctored.It is worth finding a physical auction with good main dealer vendors even if you have to travel long distances.

This has always been my principle

Years ago a team used to go to my preffered auction early and doctor the stuff they wanted and nick any service books, I knew these were the cars to buy so always outbid them and back at work a quick search of the car had the fully stamped books found and the bonnet opened with a long stick

They never knew that I knew

Sad thing is I found out only a week ago that 2 out of 3 of them  aren't with is anymore, nice guys too:(

So take life as it comes