Sign in to follow this  
Mercftw

Clued up Volvo dealers...

Hi there fellas

I obviously don’t expect a reply to my question in this public forum so any private messages would be greatly Appreciated. 

So I’ve recently just snapped up a Volvo V90 19 plate and after having the battery off and then reconnecting it I’ve got a “Volvo in call service required” error on the dash. Now Ive got Volvo assistance to come out but they couldn’t find any faults so then the dealer told me to bring it in to see if they can fix it on the spot. 

turns out it was unplugged for too long and that completely depleted the backup battery. Now because I’ve taken off the battery they won’t cover it under warranty. 
They’ve priced me up at £93 for the module and about 200 odd quid for labour + vat. 
Does anyone know where this back up battery is located and if it’s possible to recharge them somehow- I don’t mind paying for a new battery but 200 odd for labour is a rip off. 

I was actually quite surprised as the tech told me that the battery was disconnected 3 days ago and that the main battery has only ever been fully charged once so it got me wondering what else does the software show up :blink:

Got it on charge overnight but does anyone know where these modules are located 

Edited by Mercftw

Not sure what 'module' they are refering to. IIRC the main battery is in the boot and the auxiliary battery is at the front on the V90 - either in the engine compartment or at the base of the windscreen. In a box. They are a small 10Ah AGM battery. After installing a new one you need to drive the car at least half an hour and the warning should go. Don't know why there would be £200 labour unless there is some other problem.

8 minutes ago, Halfpenny said:

Not sure what 'module' they are refering to. IIRC the main battery is in the boot and the auxiliary battery is at the front on the V90 - either in the engine compartment or at the base of the windscreen. In a box. They are a small 10Ah AGM battery. After installing a new one you need to drive the car at least half an hour and the warning should go. Don't know why there would be £200 labour unless there is some other problem.

They’re basically charging me an hours labour to unplug and Replug the new battery. He basically said to me £93 for the battery and then labour with vat which is 200 odd  + vat.

right that’s perfect I’ll have a look tomorrow as I believe the battery that needs replacing is only small 

Thank you Half penny :) 

Edited by Mercftw

I know fuck all about Volvo's never touch the bastards, but, (if this thing has one),  would this be the "Intelligent Charge Module" that other cars have ?

Usually they can be reset, (on other Cars) ;)

Edited by Dave2302

44 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

I know fuck all about Volvo's never touch the bastards, but, (if this thing has one),  would this be the "Intelligent Charge Module" that other cars have ?

Usually they can be reset, (on other Cars) ;)

I believe it works as a backup battery in case your main battery dies or is damaged in an accident- I find it to be very stupid that once the battery completely dies it doesn’t recharge

I've read that all Volvo have to do is reset the system by saying the battery has been replaced without replacing the batt and it’ll fix the problem - but of course the stealership won’t do that

I misread Half penny’s comment, so if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know 

2 hours ago, Mercftw said:

I believe it works as a backup battery in case your main battery dies or is damaged in an accident- I find it to be very stupid that once the battery completely dies it doesn’t recharge

I've read that all Volvo have to do is reset the system by saying the battery has been replaced without replacing the batt and it’ll fix the problem - but of course the stealership won’t do that

I misread Half penny’s comment, so if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know 

The auxiliary battery cannot start the car. It is just there to run the electrical system when the car is stopped during the stop part of start/stop operation. You still need a good starter battery. These little batteries are quite fragile and if you leave the car standing for a long time then the voltage drops below about 11.5V and the battery is ruined. Its a crap system and if the car is not used regularly then it plays up.  Our workshop has replaced a couple and IIRC they are in a box at the scuttle. Just take the top off and either replace it or try charging. Takes 5 minutes. I think you will need a new battery though.

AFAIK the system does not detect that the battery has been changed - only its voltage. Drive car half an hour and it should reset.