supreno

Business Rate Relief Grant

Hi everyone, 

Hope you all well and busy. I have applied for business rate relief grant at my local council which is Spelthorne on 19 of March and have not heard back from them yet. chased them many times but they keep on saying we will get back to you. 

any advice ? 

21 minutes ago, supreno said:

Hi everyone, 

Hope you all well and busy. I have applied for business rate relief grant at my local council which is Spelthorne on 19 of March and have not heard back from them yet. chased them many times but they keep on saying we will get back to you. 

any advice ? 

if you filled the form in correctly then all you can do is do as you are doing, they will be short staffed ,so probably doing each form by hand, the frightening thought is if they spend all the govt funds allocated ,before they get to you.

Edited by New year revolutions......
punctuation

Unfortunately all you can do is wait, sometimes as I did if you get a direct email for the person you’re dealing with you maybe able to push it on a bit faster

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

if you filled the form in correctly then all you can do is do as you are doing, they will be short staffed ,so probably doing each form by hand, the frightening thought is if they spend all the govt funds allocated ,before they get to you.

thats what stresses me out, can they really tell me that they have run out of cash? 

55 minutes ago, supreno said:

thats what stresses me out, can they really tell me that they have run out of cash? 

99% sure no, local authorities  worked out how much they would need and told the government, looking at the website some payments have gone out =http://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/article/19283/Business-Grants-payments

in the meantime watch out for scam emails purporting to be the council asking for your bank details.

the whole idea of these grants is to get them quick, the councils have been told this !

if you go here = https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-business-energy-and-industrial-strategy have a read through for handy information.

i found out for you this =

allocated to Spelthorne Borough Council

Spelthorne Borough Council£15,132,000

paid out so far 

£12,975,000

to 981 of 1161 recognised

hope that helps.

i would phone them and tell them if you do not receive payment in the next 7 days you may go bust.............

Edited by have a word with the wife
  • Like 2

Took our council 24 hrs to pay the money to us . 

19 th March to now is a touch slow I would think .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

99% sure no, local authorities  worked out how much they would need and told the government, looking at the website some payments have gone out =http://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/article/19283/Business-Grants-payments

in the meantime watch out for scam emails purporting to be the council asking for your bank details.

the whole idea of these grants is to get them quick, the councils have been told this !

if you go here = https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-business-energy-and-industrial-strategy have a read through for handy information.

i found out for you this =

allocated to Spelthorne Borough Council

Spelthorne Borough Council£15,132,000

paid out so far 

£12,975,000

to 981 of 1161 recognised

hope that helps.

i would phone them and tell them if you do not receive payment in the next 7 days you may go bust.............

thank you it was really helpful. I moved to the current property in Feb and received the business rate bill in April. they actually got back to me yesterday saying that I owe them £2800 and thats why they are not paying and will only pay if I agree to either pay in advance or minus from the £25k. Hopefully I should get it soon. 

1 hour ago, supreno said:

thank you it was really helpful. I moved to the current property in Feb and received the business rate bill in April. they actually got back to me yesterday saying that I owe them £2800 and thats why they are not paying and will only pay if I agree to either pay in advance or minus from the £25k. Hopefully I should get it soon. 

hi something seems wrong here

unless you have a huge unit or are a showroom where does the £1400 a month rates come from

pm me if you prefer with full address so it will be on the voa website

27 minutes ago, New year revolutions...... said:

hi something seems wrong here

unless you have a huge unit or are a showroom where does the £1400 a month rates come from

pm me if you prefer with full address so it will be on the voa website

thank you,  thats not a mistake. I have a showroom you can google supreno cars, however, there is something dodgy about it as on voa, I am getting charged a good amount for a garage which I don't have so I was on the case and this virus popped out and put everything on hold. 

42 minutes ago, supreno said:

thank you,  thats not a mistake. I have a showroom you can google supreno cars, however, there is something dodgy about it as on voa, I am getting charged a good amount for a garage which I don't have so I was on the case and this virus popped out and put everything on hold. 

nice setup

do not use a company promising to devalue for you,do it yourself  ,you do it online on the voa site,weirdly once I got the grant my business disappeared off the voa page, but I expanded into next door last year so this might be why?,its all popped back,in again now

good luck:)

On 6/6/2020 at 1:47 PM, New year revolutions...... said:

nice setup

do not use a company promising to devalue for you,do it yourself  ,you do it online on the voa site,weirdly once I got the grant my business disappeared off the voa page, but I expanded into next door last year so this might be why?,its all popped back,in again now

good luck:)

thank you, I will make sure I do it myself. I assume I will get a refund of the money I overpaid for a garage that does not exist ? 

I see the problem, there was 2 properties, a showroom with 9 outdoor parking spaces, and the second, a petrol retail station, you have taken both and you are either getting 2 separate Bill's or the council in there wisdom have combined the 2, without reviewing the petrol station!

There will still be rates to pay for the additional parking, the cost of which you will have to look into personally, I would look at similar sales pitches on voa importantly in your local authority area to get a idea of cost.

My advice, listen carefully ;) the showroom and 9 outdoor spaces need to be totally separate from the expetrol station that is now car sales parking in regards to billing,  I would put the expetrol station in your business partners name:ph34r: and the showroom in yours, or whatever .

If the 2 were combined, which afteralls is less paperwork for your local authority this could possibly result in a bigger overall bill than having ex petrol station separately rated, it maybe actually under the 15k discount (look up rates discount exemption) and result in paying no rates whatsoever, so, as the actual properties were rated separately before I can see no reason that they cannot again (I am basing this assumption on they have billed you as one).

So, rather than worrying about paying or getting your grant reduced by £2800 I may have just saved you £10,000 +...........

To be honest, and I am not knocking you, but for you and anybody else reading this, ALWAYS check all figures before jumping in feet first, a good example, again, my friend has just moved from a pitch to a indoor warehouse, fantastic spot secure, clean, but guess what, his insurance company have now set up many hurdles for him to jump before they will quote as it is allegedly in a bad area !

I wish you well.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 10:26 AM, supreno said:

thank you, I will make sure I do it myself. I assume I will get a refund of the money I overpaid for a garage that does not exist ? 

Not sure about a refund but a site visit for you will probably be best

This might take some time though due to current problems

• Like 1

18 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

I see the problem, there was 2 properties, a showroom with 9 outdoor parking spaces, and the second, a petrol retail station, you have taken both and you are either getting 2 separate Bill's or the council in there wisdom have combined the 2, without reviewing the petrol station!

There will still be rates to pay for the additional parking, the cost of which you will have to look into personally, I would look at similar sales pitches on voa importantly in your local authority area to get a idea of cost.

My advice, listen carefully ;) the showroom and 9 outdoor spaces need to be totally separate from the expetrol station that is now car sales parking in regards to billing,  I would put the expetrol station in your business partners name:ph34r: and the showroom in yours, or whatever .

If the 2 were combined, which afteralls is less paperwork for your local authority this could possibly result in a bigger overall bill than having ex petrol station separately rated, it maybe actually under the 15k discount (look up rates discount exemption) and result in paying no rates whatsoever, so, as the actual properties were rated separately before I can see no reason that they cannot again (I am basing this assumption on they have billed you as one).

So, rather than worrying about paying or getting your grant reduced by £2800 I may have just saved you £10,000 +...........

To be honest, and I am not knocking you, but for you and anybody else reading this, ALWAYS check all figures before jumping in feet first, a good example, again, my friend has just moved from a pitch to a indoor warehouse, fantastic spot secure, clean, but guess what, his insurance company have now set up many hurdles for him to jump before they will quote as it is allegedly in a bad area !

I wish you well.

thank you for the advice,  however, I am only renting the showroom, petrol station is not mine. I need to find out what this garage is and why am I being charged for it.