Sign in to follow this  
ChrisP

Does anyone else actually like the Juke NISMO?

What are your thoughts on the Juke NISMO?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Am I really the only person who likes it?

• Yes, you're clearly mad
    • It's more fun than a traditional crossover, but I'd still get a hot hatch
    • No, we like it too

I see Nissan is poised to release a more extreme version of the Juke NISMO at the LA motor show. And that got me thinking about the last one.

At the time it struck me that the feisty engine and the various performance mods gave the Juke NISMO a dynamic character to match the car's relatively extrovert exterior. Everyone else on the planet seemed to pan it for falling short of the traditional hot hatches, though. Am I the only one with a soft spot for it?

That Juke is cool, still have a Fiesta ST first. 

...and a RenaultSport Clio before both of those, right? Right?

Never driven the Juke R, but I did have a ride round the handling circuit at Milbrook with Jann Mardenborough. Jeez, that kid can drive. Never doubted the combination of GT-R mechanicals and RML engineering would keep us pointing in the right direction (more or less) but the speed we entered the corners was faintly surreal.

That said, all those fast SUVs require a bit of mental recallibration. I drove the Cayenne Turbo S a few months ago and couldn't quite wrap my head around it. Come across plenty of sports cars that aren't as involving, let alone as accomplished.

The Juke R really is amazing. That video was produced as part of a special feature we're publishing soon on Skunkworks cars, the models made as back-room projects. We had some really cool cars there that day, but the Juke R was one of my favourites. 

Fast SUVs seem to be here to stay - especially now Audi is heading down the RS Q route...

Indeed. Intrigued to see some of the premium offerings next year when Lambo and Maserati join the party. Despite all the furore surrounding the EXP 9 F, it doesn't seem such a big jump for Bentley somehow.