Sign in to follow this  
david gott

FOCUS ESTATE 1.8 TDCI PROBLEM

Bought a 2008 focus tdci estate 135k about 2 weeks ago, been running it myself just to make sure it was good to go, even took it from Sheffield to Chester twice in 2 days with no problems, anyhow on the way to my car pitch today a warning light came on saying loss of acceleration, I must admit the fuel was ready run out in 15 miles (half a tank in my eyes) so I thought this may have caused the problem to arise. Pulled into services filled it up with a tenner, everything back to normal, 5 mins later loss of acceleration, light comes on, then car conks out. Car won't start, the mechanic comes and tows me back to pitch. Just wondered if anybody else has had this problem? 

Thanks

david 

hi,if you consider the fuel goes to the engine returns goes through the tank then the lines  lines then pump then returns again then 15 miles showing as left in tank really is nothing

i think your engine went into limp to save the lifters in the pump by default so they dont run dry and seize,remember also running on fumes would pick up any water thats got in the tank over the years

put some diesel in see if it needs bleeding at the filter as suggested and cross your fingers

the days of running stuff like this on fumes is gone if you dont want a coronary

chin up

I had a similar thing on a high mileage Vectra diesel I took in PX, guy dropped it off with nothing in, put £10 to get it to auction and 2 days later the auction couldn't get it started. Went to collect it and after a few hours in the garage and finding nothing put 20 litres of diesel in, turned it on and off a few times without trying to turn it over and then tried to start it a few times and it fired up on the 3rd go ............. an old Ford mechanic suggested it as it was a way to start Sierra's when they ran out of fuel apparently.

Had the same thing on a 07 diesel focus, limp mode, lights on dash, wouldn't start then it would, ... It was the clock set , common fault on them, had to take clocks out and get a firm to repair them, car was fine after that .

mine would not turn over either sometimes

Edited by Jack Regan

Thanks for the feedback, the focus is not even turning over, when you you turn the key you get nothing from the engine, mechanic seems to think it's an imobileser problem!

I had something similar with a fiesta the other day and it turned out to be 2 fuses had blown and the running out of juice symptoms completely threw us. 

I had something similar with a fiesta the other day and it turned out to be 2 fuses had blown and the running out of juice symptoms completely threw 

Edited by Jack Regan