Rvmmco

vehicle sale to a business

We had a customer try it on claiming we were liable for new rear shocks 6 months after he purchased the car as his mate has told him he could as the fault must have been there when he bought it.  I just sent a very “legal” style letter quoting the relevant parts of the CRA which recognises that on older cars faults can be random and pointing out the age of the vehicle, mileage and the price paid vs the cost of the vehicle new. We’d had it serviced and MOT’d before sale to prove roadworthiness and condition at point of sale.

Never heard from him again after that.

Even though in this case it’s clearly BtB the its worth reading the CRA with respect to used cars as it’s relatively good at recognising the issues that may occur with older cars and the reality of wear and tear. 

The problems you get when you actually give a warranty with the vehicle is a different kettle of fish mind, and if you sell vehicles locally arguing the toss about the CRA may make you right but not popular in the neighbourhood. 

Edited by CCC

well i wrote to the guy last week, a very detailed letter, explaining what he had bought, the fact that he was happy with it, bought for his business etc and so far i have not heard a thing.

I suspect there will be a claim, he was adamant that he citizens advice had told him he had upper hand, but then who knows what he actually told them.