Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

Car transporters

We are looking to upgrade to a new recovery truck/car transporter (3.5 tonne) not sure whether to buy a new one or get one a few years old but they all seem to have done 200k miles even ones 4 years old. 

Does anyone have any views on the best make/models to be looking at? Someone has recommended a ducato because of the payload but not sure about fiats? 

we run 2 fiat ducato beavertails,bought from new,the mpg is about the best for that size vehicle and they hold there money fairly well,got mine from recoveryworld.

• Like 1

work out how much use it will get over a set period say next 5 years to decide if new is the way especially if not doing lots of distance work 

mines parked up more than its used so old but well maintained is the way i like it

be aware vosa have more powers than the police and certainly round my way they do more car transporter weight checks than anything else these days and are particularly against a trailer being pulled behind if tach rules not adhered to

i wouldnt buy a ransid

It's a Mercedes sprinter for us every time, forget yr transits etc..... Once they hit 100k they are on borrowed time! 

My last sprinter got very old and the chassis got rusty but it had done 400k(on same engine) and would still do 85mph with a car on the back for 8 hrs if needed. My newer one I bought with 160k on it, drives like 40k, 2008 I bought when 3yrs old, like driving a nice car with air con etc, you can't beat it!