James Baggott

New online advertising portal makes some bold claims...

What do you think of this? These guys are making some pretty bold claims about online selling for used cars. Check out what they say and then tell me what you think...

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/online-retailer-carspring-takes-used-car-market-to-customers-door/

James, I think this is the FUTURE of selling to be honest. The younger customer (who is our customer of the future) is already buying online, so why should it be different for cars? Leasing companies having been doing it for years and I don't really understand why the New/Used Car retail market has not moved quicker into this.

As an industry we are seeing less physical people on our forecourts and in our showrooms , yet more customers are seeing our business, why? because of the internet and the increased security of buying online and the age group that is now coming to the age of buying cars have known nothing different than buying online, using their phones, tablets or apple macs.

What these guys have done at Carspring is not Rocket Science instead it is embracing what is available and instead of shying away from the 14day return in dispute of distance selling they are advertising it as a buying feature to give customers confidence. Offering the customer car as a retail on their website before it even arrives is pure genius so is the offer that they will buy the customers car if they don't sell it with a period of time ( I note they don't say what figure this is at , very clever)

These guys deserve to do well and congratulate them on a fresh business model, however as a seasoned Motor Trade Dealer how different are we doing things at the moment? Not that different to be honest, Yesterday I did a home visit to a customer who had no way of getting to the dealership, so I personally took the car to them, they took for a drive in their own environment, it was parked outside their house in their drive, they didn't have to imagine owning it, the experience was real it was there and now, a little discount and a great service that car will be returned to it's new home next week, fully serviced, MOT'd , taxed, fuelled, valeted and warranted. We are DOING it already , so all we have to do is get our heads around the regulation and legislation and embrace what is available and take the bulls by the horns. 

This article along with other recent ones has really got me quite excited about what is achievable in our own marketplace , so you may well see Jim Reid Click & Collect sooner than you think! I'll give you guys at Car Dealer Mag the first exclusive interview :-)

• Like 3

Did similar last week Jim, previous customer wanted to see car - couldn't make it down as he'd sold his car to a friend - took it round agreed deal delivered it next day ! In reality all methods still work but as you've said the 'younger' generation are growing up with 'click & buy' make it EASY and it'll work ! Look forward to reading the exclusive soon in the magazine :) ! 

• Like 2