Sign in to follow this  
Wheelerdealer1

No more VIC checks for write offs from next month

In one respect it was kind of a pointless excersise in that it was only checking its identity and not the quality of the repair work, but you could argue that with the numbers being so low that may be it was working and cutting out the ringed cars. How £41 is going to save families money I don't know. If they cannot find £41 for a test then what on earth makes people think it was repaired to a suitable standard.

The real losers here will be the badly informed private buyer, I took many cars through px that were cat d and unknown to the buyer as they didn't do a check when they bough it, the little note on the cat c cars log book was useful in that sense, I guess the real winners here are those blokes who flog these damage repair motors on the side streets !

I do wonder if the good old V5 document is for the bin sometime soon. It's a fairly outdated document, badly laid out and doesn't prove ownership anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if we just end up online the same as the road tax in the not too distant future. That way any accident markers Cat C or D could be held against the car online and publicly accessible for those that get caught out not running a HPi before buying

In one respect it was kind of a pointless excersise in that it was only checking its identity and not the quality of the repair work, but you could argue that with the numbers being so low that may be it was working and cutting out the ringed cars. How £41 is going to save families money I don't know. If they cannot find £41 for a test then what on earth makes people think it was repaired to a suitable standard.

I think the saving to us tax payers is more the reduction in the amount of testers employed at the test stations to cover all of these VIC checks as opposed to £41 shared per test shared across the nation. It could be argued that the £41 was more than adequate to cover the tester's wage for the time taken though.

Who knows. I see it as a good thing, if you've ever had the misfortune of having your car Cat C written off you'll know the long drawn out process to get it tested is a real ballache!