JA Trader

Cherished Registration

Buying a car from a gentleman local to me who has owned it since brand new in 1997.

When the car was purchased the cherished registration was put on straight away so it was never given an age related plate.

Can the seller still remove this plate or is it know tied to this car.

If it is removed will it be given an age related registration.

Edited by JA Trader
  • Like 1

I believe it will be allocated an Age Related Plate, same as any other car (in that DVLA do not guarantee you will get the original plate back).

• Like 1

to add to the great post by markus

as the car never had an age related plate dvla will allocate one with the correct year suffix,because the allocated one will usually be one never used before it will normally say on the v5c that this new plate is non transferable ie you cant put it on retention and say sell it  if it says something cute etc

I'm sure as Mark said the plate can be transferred and the 1997 car will be issued with a P or R registration which ever is appropriate  thats never been issued on a non transferable basis one of my previous bosses registered his Mercedes straight from brand new to his valuable private plate then bought a new Mercedes passed the previous Mercedes  to his ex wife who was still part of the company with a newly issued age related date appropriate plate back around 1999-2000 which said on the v5  notes non transferable registration   

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I believe it will be allocated an Age Related Plate, same as any other car (in that DVLA do not guarantee you will get the original plate back).

12 minutes ago, jason doyle motor sales said:

to add to the great post by markus

as the car never had an age related plate dvla will allocate one with the correct year suffix,because the allocated one will usually be one never used before it will normally say on the v5c that this new plate is non transferable ie you cant put it on retention and say sell it  if it says something cute etc

Thanks for the replies i thought that would be the case although i was hoping not as the plate goes with the car very well.