Sign in to follow this  
mark-s

Sales events - how to compete with the well known providers

Just looking for a bit of advice really. For the past few years I've provided showroom dressing for companies providing sales events to showrooms, sure everyone knows the VIP style events. I'm trying to take things to the next level and hopefully pick up the odd bit of direct work with dealerships rather than always going through a third party. Without the contacts though this seems near impossible! I've been round dealerships handing out leaflets but getting hold of the sales manager or appropriate person can be almost impossible. Social media for B2B in this respect just doesn't seem to work so after a suggestion from a member of another forum I'm on here seeking advice.

I'm no sales person, I'd much rather be out there doing the work but unfortunately its all part of being self employed. Its frustrating because what I supply is on par with the most well known company in this field and I'm one of only 2 companies in the UK offering certain items on my set ups so I know if I could get a foot in the door there would be a good chance of bookings. Any advice anyone could give me would be appreciated. Cheers guys

5 hours ago, mark-s said:

Just looking for a bit of advice really. For the past few years I've provided showroom dressing for companies providing sales events to showrooms, sure everyone knows the VIP style events. I'm trying to take things to the next level and hopefully pick up the odd bit of direct work with dealerships rather than always going through a third party. Without the contacts though this seems near impossible! I've been round dealerships handing out leaflets but getting hold of the sales manager or appropriate person can be almost impossible. Social media for B2B in this respect just doesn't seem to work so after a suggestion from a member of another forum I'm on here seeking advice.

I'm no sales person, I'd much rather be out there doing the work but unfortunately its all part of being self employed. Its frustrating because what I supply is on par with the most well known company in this field and I'm one of only 2 companies in the UK offering certain items on my set ups so I know if I could get a foot in the door there would be a good chance of bookings. Any advice anyone could give me would be appreciated. Cheers guys

Can you really make a business out of this ?

Yes you can make a business out of this. The company I used to work for would sometimes have 60 plus bookings a week. In the past I've worked all over Europe and the UK. VIP type Events are a big thing in the dealerships especially around the time of new reg releases.

14 hours ago, mark-s said:

Yes you can make a business out of this. The company I used to work for would sometimes have 60 plus bookings a week. In the past I've worked all over Europe and the UK. VIP type Events are a big thing in the dealerships especially around the time of new reg releases.

Its not organised at individual dealer level its organised by group / franchise owner.

Small single site main dealers are few and far between and increasingly rare. You have to get into the big groups or alternatively try something new like bike dealerships maybe ( can't see the hells angels at a harley dealer being to into it but something to think about)

1 hour ago, Rory RSC said:

Its not organised at individual dealer level its organised by group / franchise owner.

Small single site main dealers are few and far between and increasingly rare. You have to get into the big groups or alternatively try something new like bike dealerships maybe ( can't see the hells angels at a harley dealer being to into it but something to think about)

Urban legend. New Harleys are now bought by middle aged guys raiding their pensions for tax free lump sums

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

This plus often stipulated by the manufacturer themselves as terms of the franchise.