Sign in to follow this  
Pip

Provisional licence on traders policy

My daughter is approaching 17 and keen to get behind the wheel. Lots of her friends have provisional licences and are on their parents insurance for their private car. Can my daughter learn in one of the vehicles I have that is on my traders policy? I have a stock car I always use before retailing so thought she may be able to go out with me in this. Her friends have paid £80 ish for 100 days cover of which days they can choose as long as the vehicle is insured by the owner. Apparently you can choose 1 day to be insured then maybe take another day in say a week or two. So it could take 6 months to use up your 100 days.

Hope this makes sense 

Hi pip, I’m struggling to write a reply that doesn’t sound sarcastic. 

Have you asked your insurance provider/broker? 

Ps. If your a limited company and use a car for personal use, there is a benefit in kind. 

I presume at some stage you’ll be buying or at least finding her a car and at some stage she will need insurance.  Bite the bullet and get some in her own name now - it will happen soon enough and I wouldn’t be adding my kids to any insurance of mine.

Mark 101 , that’s exactly my thoughts. Stalker, no I am sitting here on a Sunday afternoon posting this as I’m only curious and my insurance company in closed. Otherwise I would of course rang them first. Just thought I’d ask as some trader might have been here before. 

The trouble I have is trying to explain to a 17 year old that the 3 series and Land Rover will cost you thousands to insure. It’s a fiesta or aygo my girl. 

Pip would you not be better getting a crappy little runner for her and insure it on your name on a separate policy which would be a few hundred quid for you i guess.

And then add her as a learner? I thought it was only like 300 extra for the year for the learner and that's without this 100 days.

That way it will be separate from your traders and she can only drive with your supervision anyway. 

Because if she has a bump - it will still be on his insurance and when Pip renews his policy next, they will say any accidents, claims or convictions.  Even on a separate policy he has to declare anything.  Let’s hope it doesn’t happen.

We all started somewhere re: insurance, there is no way of avoiding it, just get it done and after 1 year - hopefully a much lower premium follows.

58 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Because if she has a bump - it will still be on his insurance and when Pip renews his policy next, they will say any accidents, claims or convictions.  Even on a separate policy he has to declare anything.  Let’s hope it doesn’t happen.

We all started somewhere re: insurance, there is no way of avoiding it, just get it done and after 1 year - hopefully a much lower premium follows.

I would get instructor pedals then on passenger side.

Then he would be in full control.

How much will they be?

24 minutes ago, ExCouncilJobsworth said:

I would get instructor pedals then on passenger side.

Then he would be in full control.

How much will they be?

Free, most auction houses remove them for their main agent  customers :P

its about £900 fully comp and black boxed up for a 17 year old girlie in a c1

putting a minor on a motor trades policy is madness

those dual controls would be very difficult to be approved if fitted via a third party,i wouldn't retro fit for anyone,if they are that bad at driving let the driving instructor have the coronary that's what they are paid for:)