ROVEX

Online sales - how does it work for you

Hi - I am seeing more and more online-only dealers - where the customer doesn't see the car until it's delivered. I was wondering what you all think of this approach and those of you who are doing it, how it's working for you...

Until the change the DSR's (which is unlikely) then I can't see many dealers being confident about offering this. I have done this a few times and it works well but I don't offer an organised DSR so I won't advertise that I do.

Works well, mindful that it could all end in tears I make sure I have a clear view of what to do if all goes tits up... independent inspection if they report an issue, local mechanic in mind, proper pdi images and video shared with customer prior to delivery.

he who dares Rodney

2 minutes ago, justlooking said:

Works well, mindful that it could all end in tears I make sure I have a clear view of what to do if all goes tits up... independent inspection if they report an issue, local mechanic in mind, proper pdi images and video shared with customer prior to delivery.

he who dares Rodney

This.  (Great minds JL:)

We sell a fair few like this - well, it goes in fits and starts- but as long as you do the job properly there is nothing to worry about.  Especially the non-existent DSRules. Lawgistics covered this subject a while back and if it's not a regular/ major part of your business then there is no problem.

On delivery, the customer test drives and checks over and signs their life away, and then transfers the balance- so technically you could argue it is in fact not distance selling as the 'buying' is done on their doorstep..  The 'deposit' is also a 'reservation fee' and they pay the delivery driver separately where delivery is not included. 

Correct, as long as you are not operating an organised DSR then delivering cars to punters is fine. If someone asks "could you deliver?" then I would answer yes, we can. But if you state "delivery available" on your adverts etc then I imagine you would struggle to refute a claim that you don't operate an organised DSR.