Sign in to follow this  
GreenGiant

Ranty Friday 1 May

Here's a price: £54.85

Not £44.85

Nor £40

Definitely not £30.

Every vehicle that is driven on the public roads in this country needs, by law, 3 things that are compulsory.

Road fund licence (road tax)

Insurance

And, where applicable, a current valid MOT certificate.

Compulsory.

VOSA have decreed that the cost of this MOT test is £54.85

This is the amount that they believe adequately rewards the establishments for the time/training/equipment that they have invested in, to carry out the tests.

Why, then, have a multitude of MOT testing stations taken it upon themselves to drastically reduce the fee that they charge? Are they out of their minds?

The insurance is offered by numerous different suppliers in a variety of flavours and is subject to fierce competition, but the Road tax is one price per vehicle. I don't see the Post Office undercutting the DVLA in order to nick a bit of business off them.

I struggle to understand the mindset that comes up with a business plan to sell something that is a compulsory requirement, that has a nationally accepted fixed price, at a massive discount to remove any profit potential there may be.

Have I missed something?

yes

you have

are you happy to pay the same price as jo bloggs who doesnt present his cars for mot in checked condition ? i make sure my cars are checked prior to submission so expect passes and thus no retests and volume in business

Have I missed something?