Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Anyone dealt with an A4 Cab 3.2 CVT?

Got one potentially comming in as a part ex against a BMW, chap says full service history, MOT history makes it look pretty good aswell. 98K miles.

Obviously its a huge engine with a CVT, am I asking for trouble?

34 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Got one potentially comming in as a part ex against a BMW, chap says full service history, MOT history makes it look pretty good aswell. 98K miles.

Obviously its a huge engine with a CVT, am I asking for trouble?

How old is it?

The boxes can be problematic if oils haven't been changed fairly regularly, couple that with the cabby roof gives a lot that can go wrong in my opinion but I always look at each car on its own merit. If everything seems alright then fair enough, I would give one a go!

1 minute ago, stockedup! said:

How old is it?

The boxes can be problematic if oils haven't been changed fairly regularly, couple that with the cabby roof gives a lot that can go wrong in my opinion but I always look at each car on its own merit. If everything seems alright then fair enough, I would give one a go!

2006, 4 owners. I think he's backing down? I offered him the px value subject to a look at the car and he seems reluctant to come over.

Its a rare car, someone will be looking for one, is it an S Line or Sport ? SE will be hard work. Make sure that DSG box is super smooth and engages reverse without a delay :)

5 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Its a rare car, someone will be looking for one, is it an S Line or Sport ? SE will be hard work. Make sure that DSG box is super smooth and engages reverse without a delay :)

He said it was a CVT AD, aren't they different to the DSG?

Just now, stockedup! said:

He said it was a CVT AD, aren't they different to the DSG?

Yes sorry, meant CVT :) 

11 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Yes sorry, meant CVT :) 

No worries,I was always told the DSG is a decent box compared to the CVT. The CVT is supposedly quite horrid?

Not seen one for a while but Multitronic failures were a case of when rather than if.  Early signs of problems are sometimes the selector in the MFD flashes red, jolts into reverse and judders when pulling away.  

Shame it’s not a Quattro as they get the Tiptronic box which is very reliable. 

Also check the roof goes up and down, they have a common fault with the roof box which was £500 to sort.

41 minutes ago, Contracts said:

Not seen one for a while but Multitronic failures were a case of when rather than if.  Early signs of problems are sometimes the selector in the MFD flashes red, jolts into reverse and judders when pulling away.  

Shame it’s not a Quattro as they get the Tiptronic box which is very reliable. 

Also check the roof goes up and down, they have a common fault with the roof box which was £500 to sort.

Awesome thank-you for that info, it'll have a thoroughly heavy inspection before exchanging 

‘Multi-tragic’. Nothing but doom. First of the early century-nothing but trouble-German poo!

Crumbs. Nearly 20 years ago now but I remember clearly my first experience with a 3k gearbox rebuild and my realisation that German cars were now the worst. That and Mercedes rust!

I've got one you can have...only had it in stock 8 months!

Gearbox and engine seems pretty bombproof but the rest of the car falls apart/lights up every time we move it. Standard German.