Sign in to follow this  
Mikey360

Autotrader Retail Check Desirability

Just wondering if anyone uses the Autotrader retail checker tool thing to see how "desirable" a car is before buying it? 

Does it stack up to real world selling times etc or is it just a gimmick?

I know alot of you allready know what sells and what doesn't so the tool would be completely useless to you.

2 minutes ago, Mikey360 said:

Does it stack up to real world selling times etc or is it just a gimmick?

I started using it a month ago. 

Shows some surprises but generally confirms what we know. Because of the way I buy I don't use it pre-purchase but I have a good look at it when pricing and re-pricing stock. Already sold a car £1000 over what I thought I could sell at because the program showed 99 desirability score and 4 available nationwide for a car I genuinely considered undesirable. 

• Like 1

I used to use it but no matter how 'desirable' it kept telling me a Nissan Micra was, no way in god's earth was I ever going to buy one.  My AT guy who is very good by the way, was always putting 'stock turn' before it, and for that information you need i control which is a great bit of kit but obviously costs. I'm sure if you asked you get get it on trial.

• Like 1

I use it but understand that it shows desirability within 50 miles. While it’s interesting to compare the new desirability score (out of 100) against the old rating out of 5, I struggle to believe the results as we don’t sell much to customers within 50 miles. Most travel 100-200 miles.

its also interesting to see a desirability score of 99 for a car which shows 2.5 on Autotrader buying (autotrademail) as they obviously contradict each other.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies chaps, gave them a call and got a free 8 week trial, certainly makes buying alot easier!

1 hour ago, Mikey360 said:

Thanks for the replies chaps, gave them a call and got a free 8 week trial, certainly makes buying alot easier!

Great that you’ve got a free trial. I would just say don’t take it as gospel as some of our regular best sellers only rate 45/100 on the new desirability scale. It’s just a guide but I’m sure you’ll find it useful.

• Like 1