Sign in to follow this  
Dave2302

MOT Test and Clear front Fog Lamps

Right off the bat, This is not my regular MOT Guy, and not a Car I've MOT'd

A young lady who does our cleaning took her Car (Fabia Diesel VRS), for MOT to a renowned arse hole MOT Station with a knob jockey Tester.

Fair enough, Rear Shocks and Rear Discs / Pads Shagged, also Engine Light on, (2 Glow Plugs Codes) and a Reverse Lamp Bulb so I've done them all today for her.

He also failed it on cracked clear Glass Front Fog Lamp lens, (the ones in the bottom of front bumper). She doesn't have a lot of dosh, and also needs the retest Monday so she can use the Car for her work,, so getting an EBay used one posted to me will not fit the time frame.

I have used "proper" Clear Lens tape, should that pass now ?

I've just put my MOT guy on ring back to see what he says, can't get him ATM

Answered, My guy says Advisory only on 56 plate, there is no pattern to the lamp so lens tape is fine ;) 

Learn something new every day.

I didn't even realise that front fog lamps were a tested item!

In this case they should not have been, this test station is a nightmare................

I needed to be sure before sending her back, the dick also failed her on a Reverse Lamp Bulb, (which I did for her), but Reverse Lamps should only be checked on 2009 and up vehicles !!

Front Fogs with no pattern, i.e. separate from headlamps and clear lenses are only advisory ;)

I'll be waiting for the phone call on Monday :D

Oh he also failed her for Tailgate not opening, usual VW product the button handle is fucked, but tailgate opens off key button fine, again, this is not a fail item, they should only check it "Closes Securely / Properly", and they can open it with key to check that !!

I hate that fucking midget cunt puppy wanker !!

I've got her a Tailgate Switch handle and Foglamp off Fleabay now, but of course I probably won't see it until Thursday next week.

It is hard to find an MOT tester and mechanic you can trust. Took us a while to find ours... Don't know if that is just a Devon thing or country wide.

Feel sorry for the dealer who tries to sell it one day and has to deal with the customers questioning them over the MOT history!

We've a customers recently asking about an advisory 5yrs ago. Checked his MOT history... It failed 3 weeks ago on a load of welding, body damage, and bulbs.... Only the previous year, it failed on a couple of bits including a bulb... Was retested and failed on the same bulb not working!

Country Wide ;)

I have my own fully equipped workshop and do everything except MOT and A/C regas.

I have a local MOT station I use, they are great.

The other local MOT stations are absolute know fuck all wankers, I would never recommend anyone to got to any of them.

All the local mechanics are shit too, I've seen brake pipes replaced, they've broken all the clips, so twisted the metal pipes round each other !!

They rip off plastic shields, or cut / break lumps off them to get at say a Fuel Filter, that's if they bother to change them on a Service anyway, and they couldn't diagnose a Morris Minor :lol:

The main Dealers are just Parts Darts Robbers too :rolleyes:

Dave, would I be correct in thinking you don’t rate many garages? :lol:

As for punters reading MOT histories, they haven’t a clue. I was asked two days ago “I see the car failed on X and Y in 2016. Have they been done?” FFS it’s on it’s third MOT since then.

/\ /\ /\ LOL, absolutely correct LIKE

I'm just basing my opinion of "most garages and mechanics" on what I have seen over the many moons ;)

Could write a book on it .................

Here's a couple more from not too long ago ................

A guy who is now a good customer, very tidy SL55 Kompressor Merc, all the V8 and V12 SL's have ABC..................

He had a leak on N/S/R Suspension Steel Pipe, which is a Subframe Out job ................................

Local cunt fixed it with a brass 15mm compression plumbing fitting from Jewsons, and charged the guy for a new MB Pipe and umpteen hours :o

There is 365 Bar pressure in these Suspensions, 5 Bar max in your house mains water pipes !!

1 hour later guy hits a pothole on his way home, BANG, Suspension drops quicker than a whores drawers, car in ditch !!

Could have been a lot worse, but I ended up sorting out the Car for the guy.

Local cunt is still trading !!

I see this and similar shit on a daily basis, :( as well as all the it's had this that the other, thousand pound bills, and then I find a £12 relay dead or similar which was obviously the cause of the original problem :rolleyes: !!

Here's another ................

I recently bought a 13k retail Car for a grand, 5 Garages failed to fix it, last garage who advised it needed Powertrain Control Module put him on to me to buy it !! 

It had had tons of money spent, this that the other parts, still exactly the same, started and ran fine, but as soon as you selected Drive it cut out. 

There is no such thing as a Car that cannot be fixed !! 

It had had new Lambdas, new Air Flow Meter, New Exhaust System, Rebuilt Auto Box and Converter, and then the local "(biggest garage) expert" told the guy it needed a new ECU / PCM, which was when guy contacted me :D

This by the way is the same guy who failed the cleaners Skoda

15 minutes, and I had it fixed !!

The problem, a blown 10 amp fuse :lol:

This particular fuse was tucked on it's own behind a Relay, a bit hard to see, and I did offer to look at it, but this guy had just had enough of chucking money at it, told me he would rather scrap it !! 

The clue was in the list of fault codes and the WD, this fuse was a reference voltage fuse for several ECU's B)

"DO NOT REPLACE PARTS BASED ON FAULT CODES ALONE"

On 16/11/2018 at 6:10 PM, Dave2302 said:

Country Wide ;)

I have my own fully equipped workshop and do everything except MOT and A/C regas.

I have a local MOT station I use, they are great.

The other local MOT stations are absolute know fuck all wankers, I would never recommend anyone to got to any of them.

All the local mechanics are shit too, I've seen brake pipes replaced, they've broken all the clips, so twisted the metal pipes round each other !!

They rip off plastic shields, or cut / break lumps off them to get at say a Fuel Filter, that's if they bother to change them on a Service anyway, and they couldn't diagnose a Morris Minor :lol:

The main Dealers are just Parts Darts Robbers too :rolleyes:

It seems like you have a very run well business but i am quite surprised you do not MOT yourself. Its by far our most profitable stream in the business.

Workshop is not large enough, (at the moment), for a testing station, and I also use a really good Tester locally, who actually knows his job and all the rules, that is all this guy does, Tests, his partner and mechanic does all the repairs etc.

Plus I wouldn't have the time, far too busy on the Repairs Workshop and a few sales Cars.

If I did decide to fire up a huge Workshop on a spare bit of our land then I'd probably install a Paint Booth rather than Testing ;)

But I keep thinking, things are ticking along nicely, do I really want a bigger business and another (Workshop) project .....................

No !! 

I'll probably be outta here in a few years time, cruising around warmer climes in a fuckin great Sunseeker :D