Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Sorry another boring VED question

I've got to pick up a car for myself to use for a few months. I'm happy to register in my name etc. But what are my options regardeing ved. I assume that I can walk into the post office and buy tax in the usual 6/12 months chunks. Whereas online I can also pay be direct debit. I doubt the car will be in my possession for 3 months so direct debit seems the cheapest but bearing in mind I lose a month when I start it and again when its sold its not so attractive. Anyone found the cheapest way to do this?

Cheapest way I've found is to get a car in Band A ie Zero Tax!

Otherwise, the monthly direct debit costs a bit more but is easy to arrange and manage.

Cheapest way I've found is to get a car in Band A ie Zero Tax!

Otherwise, the monthly direct debit costs a bit more but is easy to arrange and manage.

My current 'smoker' is on DD, just out of interest, do you have to cancel the DD when the car is sold, or is that done automatically whe the new keeper bit is sent?

My current 'smoker' is on DD, just out of interest, do you have to cancel the DD when the car is sold, or is that done automatically whe the new keeper bit is sent?

Same here. It should be automatically cancelled when the DVLA receive the change of ownership details but i'll be cancelling direct debits to be sure i think

One little problem with having VED on DD is that if your car fails its MOT just before the DD is due out, it will be cancelled automatically, and subsequently, have to be restarted. Could be something to bear in mind?