Just thought I’d see what thoughts everyone has on this topic.

I don’t have a workshop, there is a separate business attached to my premises with workshop, they do pretty much all my work, servicing, repairs, mot, tyres etc. Like most of us, these modern cars are sometimes just too complex – the diagnostic machine doesn't always tell us what’s wrong, so the odd one or two are trial and error, not ideal [After saying that, I’ve had some cars sent to the main dealers and they have also been trial and error] just a general few questions about repairs / workshops to see what happens out there.

• What do most of you do with repairs/ diagnostics?
• Do you encourage customers to come back for serving repairs back to you even if you don’t have your own workshop?
• What marketing do you do get them back?
•  Do you provide courtesy cars? Free? Collect & deliver etc?
• If you have a workshop what qualifications do your staff have and do you send them to any training courses [main dealers obviously do] which ones?
• How do you keep your staff motivated in the service dept and do you pay them on performance or simply hourly rate?
• Is there any diagnostic equipment you would recommend or not recommend?
• Do you find main dealers helpful if you have problems with cars that you/ your workshop can’t find faults with?

I've got a workshop and its an important part of the business, we can do about 99% of what we need but there is always the odd job that despite having lots of expensive equipment need to go to a main dealers (mainly to get a part coded to the car).

I don't actively market the workshop as there is very little need, over the years I have built my customer base, its nice when sales customers return because it means they are happy with the car and the service they are offered. We send out MOT reminders but that is all we do. 

I have a free courtesy car, in it is a sticker politely reminding them that it is a free service and if they could replace any fuel they use. We are what would be considered a rural location with one town 3 miles away and the other 5 miles so happy to collect and deliver service cars. It never ceases to amaze me how many turn up with no way of getting home, its gets frustrating because you have to stop what your doing to drop them back, if they had asked at time of booking its fine because you can arrange it to tie in with other jobs.

As for workshop staff, you have to remember mechanics are wired up different, once you work out how their minds work you are ok....never tell them they are wrong just suggest a slightly different way may work better !!! Experience is the best qualification they can have. As for training courses they are expensive and hard to find, maybe that due to location. I'm happy to send them of courses I they are available. I'm sure this is different in bigger cities etc etc. As for wages its a hourly rate. I offer a bonus plus will take them for nights out durring the year plus a decent day out for a Christmas party. I'm easy going so happy to let them use the workshop for their owns cars etc seems to keep them happy...i hope!! 

Diagnostic is a minefield but depend of what cars you are dealing with. What ever you buy the first car that come in it won't work on!!!! Trust me !!

Main Dealers........helpfull???.....how long have you got !!!! My tip is to always be friendly with the parts guys, you learn more from them about common faults then the service department will ever let on!!!