Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Number plate retention

Am I right in thinking that when a punter brings in a swapper with a personal plate on, they first have to put the plate on retention, which will then generate a new log book being sent out to them, which they will need to send you?

if so, can you put the vehicle into the trade prior to that, and then do the plate retention?

cheers 

Your first statement is correct, your second cannot happen until you have the "new" log book - a right PITA - going through it now on the Range

Only option is to register the car to you or the buisness (+ 1 owner) and the retain the plate.

Edited by Mark101

So basically you have the car but no V5 and you're reliant on the billy to send you the new V5? 

I just photocopy the log book and make the customer do it & get them to drop new log book in when they’ve received it. Not ideal I know, but has always worked out alright. The private plate is on the car they’re PXing, so it’s in their interest to do it.  

However, none of our cars are Mot’d/pdi’d until sold, so that gives you time to drag it out if necessary. 

It doesn’t take long nowadays 

I suppose it is as you say in their interest, I could jaunt around and accumulate dozens of fines and they'd be liable. Probably just over thinking this

We take a refundable deposit of £100, but only if we have seen the original with the cherished plate on it. 

As soon as they produce a V5 with the correct plate on it we send it back.

EPV do not put it into the trade until you have the correct reg on the V5 or else it really confuses matters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stalker said:

We take a refundable deposit of £100, but only if we have seen the original with the cherished plate on it. 

As soon as they produce a V5 with the correct plate on it we send it back.

EPV do not put it into the trade until you have the correct reg on the V5 or else it really confuses matters.

Yes I think thats what I'll do.

I'm dying to get rid of this C4 so if I have to let him take it away whilst I take his swapper and rely on him to get me the new V5 with the original plate on it, so be it.  He sounds pretty gentlemanly and old school (famous last words) so should be fine.

You can do the retention online whilst he is with you - do it for him £80.  Then hold back on £100 until you receive new logbook.  Wanker who part ex the Range Rover with me, promised he would send the new log book and swears he did.  Now I am £25 worse off and waiting weeks and weeks for a new one and I have added a keeper.

DVLA have improved a lot lately, I took a private plate off a car on line last Tuesday and the customer had the V5 back by Friday.