Mrs MINI

Are Autotrader stealing my intellectual property? Views & thoughts welcome please

So, I take time when photographing my cars to hide the registration numbers of my stock. Prevents cloning, prevents duff info being added to Hpi reports where muppets get digits muddled etc & protects consumers property if I have a car on sale or return. (No helping criminals here!)

Then I discover that any Autotrader account holder, & I'm not convinced Autotrader can identify specifically which one, can, without my knowledge click onto my Autotrader advert of a car & click value & go as far as the cost page, & even if they do not proceed further & do not spend the £19 or £24 to purchase a valuation, can get access to the registration number of any vehicle I have advertised.

Within an hour Autotrader actually send out an email asking if you want to proceed with a valuation on xxx999 registration.

Tried raising it with Autotrader & 10 days later ZERO response. Tried chasing them, not interested, usual black hole job!

So, do I own the data of my reg numbers, since I own the vehicle & have the v5?

What about a car I have on sale or return? How is the consumer's property protected?

By Autotrader using the reg numbers without my permission are they stealing my intellectual property?

Does this activity that Autotrader practise breach any data protection legislation?

Should I

A) go to the police & report it as theft?

B) send Autotrader a bill for use of my data (would so love to do this - darn expensive my data you know!!)

C) shut up & put up (really struggling with this option)

D) wait for someone on this forum to come up with a better solution?

E) actively seek out a journalist to take up the baton & introduce the topic into a more public arena

What are your thoughts & views?

They give you the leads and you pay them. You have probably signed your rights away with them long ago. They will have a bigger legal team than you so I wouldn't think it would be worth the energy. Just ignore it and enjoy Christmas.

I have always wondered why dealers block reg numbers, because the cars are on the forecourt and driving around with the reg numbers out and proud. It isn't something I particularly worry about, if someone wants to clone my cars, I don't have a problem with that. It is just one of those things that happens. 

Hmm.

Here's a thing...

You advertise your cars for sale - with or without reg nos visible. But as Jamslug says, the plates are on the car on the forecourt anyway and it isn't a great challenge for someone to use the number for a clone.

You sell the car. (well done you!)

The number, however, has been cloned and the false-plated car is used in a bank job/kidnapping/drive-by shooting/drug smuggling.

The offending reg number is traced to the actual car that you have sold.

Christmas morning, the house is surrounded and the father is taken away by armed police in front of the family and neighbours.

See where this is going...?

Guess who is going to have to help to unwind that!?

And then the flak starts flying. Did you do enough to protect yourself, your company and your customers?

As it happens, I have on my desk a speeding ticket for a car that was actually on my forecourt at the time the offence took place 150 miles away. I have also been contacted by the police in that area telling me not to sell the car as it is subject to an ongoing investigation and a future owner may find themselves in a whole world of trouble.

It makes for an interesting discussion as to who a court might find potentially negligent and/or liable at various links along the chain.