Sign in to follow this  
Owen_T

Anyone on here deal in left hand drives?

Hi all, 

So I have a customer who wishes to swap in a US imported LHD 03 BMW Z4 2.5 SI with 56k showing against a stock Z4 I have in. 

I don't have a clue what the thing is worth and wondered if anyone can help?

Thanks 

Owen 

Can't help with the particular car but did he say how a US spec Z3 came over here? 

Very odd car to import! 

The yanks didn't even like them so barely sold any. 

4 hours ago, Owen_T said:

Hi all, 

So I have a customer who wishes to swap in a US imported LHD 03 BMW Z4 2.5 SI with 56k showing against a stock Z4 I have in. 

I don't have a clue what the thing is worth and wondered if anyone can help?

Thanks 

Owen 

I would say that first you need proof that the import duty has been paid......

He's an oil and gas man who was sent to Texas for around 20 years. He imported the car years ago, HMRC have not tracked him down yet! ;) 

Thanks IJCS1, I will drop you a message if I get him dealt. 

8 hours ago, Owen_T said:

He's an oil and gas man who was sent to Texas for around 20 years. He imported the car years ago, HMRC have not tracked him down yet! ;) 

Thanks IJCS1, I will drop you a message if I get him dealt. 

So the import duty ( plus interest and penalty probably ) liability will rest with you the first motor dealer in the chain !

I thought you couldn’t register a vehicle in the UK without a receipt from HMRC for the VAT & duty - or am I talking out of my backside? I’m also assuming it is UK registered.

35 minutes ago, BHM said:

I thought you couldn’t register a vehicle in the UK without a receipt from HMRC for the VAT & duty - or am I talking out of my backside? I’m also assuming it is UK registered.

You can't. At least you can't now. 

They won't release the vehicle until any Vat and duty has been paid. 

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I don’t know how it works.However I know of a trader who supplied supermarkets who had bought a large batch of nearly new stuff from Ford Uk which I think had come via  Ford Belgium.A few years later,he is in court with HMRC trying to avoid going bust because duty had not been paid.He only won because he proved you could not HPI check whether duty was paid on imported vehicles.It may of changed since then.