Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

58 Audi A3, any experts, won't start

Another month another issue, the car drove fine, dropped it at the valeters and then left it at the mechanics for a once over, they left the car running to dry out the interior, I called up today to get some pics and the car won't start, it feels for all the World that it needs fuel but the entire instrument cluster has no lights on it? The heaters and radio etc all work fine but there is nothing on the dash, I'm unable to see how much fuel is in it as the instruments don't work?

After a little bit of research it seesm the immobilizer is in the dash pod and with no power getting to the dash the immobilizer is unable to work? The thing is the car fires and cranks so if it was immobized this wouldn't happen surely

First plan of attack is to make sure there is fuel at the fuel filer stage but I think it is all connected

thanks Andy

No do not send clocks away, I know this fault inside out. 

Who has the car?

Has it been code read Andy?

1 hour ago, Stalker said:

No do not send clocks away, I know this fault inside out. 

Who has the car?

Has it been code read Andy?

Come on don’t leave me in suspenders 

If you're not too far from Prescott (near St Helens) Andy, I know a guy here who does all my electrical stuff, he will be far cheaper and quicker than the likes of ecu testing or BBA.

Hi Andy

Can you get it on Vag Com?

... are you wearing suspenders?

:unsure:

I’ve got a mate who’s relatively competent on vag com what are we looking for?

Is everything else communicating on the car?

For that trouble code, its very common for chaffed wiring around the back of the battery,  Your will need to remove the battery and tray and look really closely, you might even need to cut open the loom tape to see the break.

Edited by Stalker

Get that wiring harness checked, and post a photo of the broken wire.

On 26/03/2018 at 3:48 PM, andymc1973 said:

Another month another issue, the car drove fine, dropped it at the valeters and then left it at the mechanics for a once over, they left the car running to dry out the interior, I called up today to get some pics and the car won't start, it feels for all the World that it needs fuel but the entire instrument cluster has no lights on it? The heaters and radio etc all work fine but there is nothing on the dash, I'm unable to see how much fuel is in it as the instruments don't work?

After a little bit of research it seesm the immobilizer is in the dash pod and with no power getting to the dash the immobilizer is unable to work? The thing is the car fires and cranks so if it was immobized this wouldn't happen surely

First plan of attack is to make sure there is fuel at the fuel filer stage but I think it is all connected

thanks Andy

i would say yes but once it fires the immobiliser is stopping it to run,look at the data it says no comms

what did they do under the bonnet

if nothing i would be thinking a cluster or plug to cluster fault

youve been on youtube for basic understanding i asume

under the bonnet hasn't been touched, its on its way to an auto elec anyway

8 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

under the bonnet hasn't been touched, its on its way to an auto elec anyway

it did have the factory music i assume too

be next week as the 2 auto electrics are off till them, im tempted to just get the cluster sent away myself

15 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

be next week as the 2 auto electrics are off till them, im tempted to just get the cluster sent away myself

Seriously dont waste your money... we have seen this fault several times and never fixed it with a cluster.... I might have a used one lying around you could try.

Does the car start and cut out?

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Don't keep us in suspense any longer, what could it be:D?

ECU wet under carpet?

100% (fingers crossed) broke wire behind battery. The wiring is very tight as it goes up the side of  the battery and for some reason it usually takes out once of the communication wires from ecu to instrument cluster. It covers a wide variety of faults on these cars because it depends which wire it takes out.