Sign in to follow this  
AutoJacob

Customers demanding refunds on warranties?

Hey guys

I just wanted to see your stance on customers demanding refunds on third party warranties they have purchased? They're mentioning the 30 day cooling off period and have already been in touch with the warranty provider however they obviously have to go through myself to obtain a refund.

Am I legally required to refund the warranty when it was purchased at the point of buying the car and present on the invoice?

Cheers

I can't help but it's an interesting question...looking forward to the replies

Wow, we had the exact same thing happen today. The warranties that we sell are not insurance backed and are not a regulated product therefore no cooling off period. Today we get a call from a guy who we sold to 10 days ago saying that in the back of the booklet it says he has 14 days to change his mind and he would like to cancel. Sure enough he was absolutely correct and we had noticed it before.

I called the warranty company (VGS) and they told me that the product is indeed a non regulated product however they have decided to include it in the terms due to all the treating customers fairly bollox being banded about these days. Aparently it has only been in effect with VGS since 1 January. In short they are trying to cover their arse.

AS its there in the terms and conditions in black and white I don't think we have a leg to stand on and will have to refund him

This job gets harder and harder by the day

See now we're with warranty wise and the cooling off period is 30 days, now I also thought that because it's in black and white in the booklet we wouldn't have a leg to stand on but CA says otherwise.. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-service-youve-arranged/

Cooling off period's don't apply when you have bought the product or service in person at the businesses premise.

:blink:

Aha! It’s all to do with the DSRs & 14 days again.

I can't see how you could get away with it when it's written into the contract that both you and the customer have signed. DSR's would'nt apply in this case because the guy was here in the showroom when he bought it.

I bet they'll come screaming when theyre car breaks!

• Like 1