Sign in to follow this  
Dan W

How many owners....

Can anyone clarify something for me

Seeing this issue about robins & day getting fined for an ex hire car I would like to know where us sales people stand.

Sometimes a customer will ask me how many owners and who owned it last, if asked I have always been truthful and informed them who and how many.

But if I am not asked this question I don't give out the information usually, is this considered lying ???? or not informing them about information ?

reading a few posts online and a lot of customers with ex rent a cars seem to think they will be able to claim thousands back due to miss sold cars, I would maybe agree with them if they were told oh yea its 1 owner and then not informing them it was a rent a car until their log book comes back and then told tough luck, but if they haven't asked this information in the first place do they have a place to make a claim also ?

I think being in the "position of power" that you are as a seller you probably aren't legally required to disclose the information but in the interest of transparency if it is a high number car then be honest.. we are anyways. 

Mr/Mrs customer its a 4 owner car but then it is a convertible and most people don't want to drive them in the winter etc or it's an 08 plate with 5 owners.. that's 2 years per keeper which is about average.... how long have you had your current car for ? ..... it's quite easy to turn a customer question into a bit of chat but still tell them what they want to know :)  

Very few cars are that much of a lemon that they just get passed from pillar to post before someone realises that there is a fault and rectify's it,

> Buyers remorse

>The Mrs doesn't like it

>Can't afford the finance

>A kid on the way

the list is endless......  

I think that is what scares most customers of high number cars, they all think people are trying to move a bad car on, put that theory to bed and your fine.  

13 minutes ago, Tadams said:

I think being in the "position of power" that you are as a seller you probably aren't legally required to disclose the information but in the interest of transparency if it is a high number car then be honest.. we are anyways. 

Mr/Mrs customer its a 4 owner car but then it is a convertible and most people don't want to drive them in the winter etc or it's an 08 plate with 5 owners.. that's 2 years per keeper which is about average.... how long have you had your current car for ? ..... it's quite easy to turn a customer question into a bit of chat but still tell them what they want to know :)  

Very few cars are that much of a lemon that they just get passed from pillar to post before someone realises that there is a fault and rectify's it,

> Buyers remorse

>The Mrs doesn't like it

>Can't afford the finance

>A kid on the way

the list is endless......  

I think that is what scares most customers of high number cars, they all think people are trying to move a bad car on, put that theory to bed and your fine.  

I Just don't like the old well the dealer didn't tell me brigade.... if I am asked a question I answer it honestly... but if I am not asked something I cant tell you everything.....

so where will it end well the dealer didn't tell me it had wind up windows in the back ..... well did you ask them ? well no but I should be told every little detail....

• Like 1

If your worried about telling them something as it sound bad ... then i'd probably tell them but justify it. 

It will be more in regards to information the dealer is privy too but choose's to hide or camouflage to lead a buyer towards a certain decision, that if they knew the information they may have made differently.

I wouldn't worry about a car being stolen and a customer saying " well the dealer didn't tell me i had to lock it"

• Like 1

I think you have to take care how you now describe ex lease stuff. Our guys might  now use the phrase ‘one former keeper’,Arval leasing company etc. rather than ‘one owner ex company car ‘which we have used for years which could now be construed as having one driver since new.

3 hours ago, Dan W said:

I Just don't like the old well the dealer didn't tell me brigade.... if I am asked a question I answer it honestly... but if I am not asked something I cant tell you everything.....

so where will it end well the dealer didn't tell me it had wind up windows in the back ..... well did you ask them ? well no but I should be told every little detail....

This is the issue and where common sense has to prevail because the way things are going people seriously will start trying to reject stuff because the last owner lived at number 13 and they weren't made aware of this and never would have bought if they'd known a 13 was associated with it. 

I think this is where Simons videos might play a big part in the future. Forget the sale they're just a cracking bit of evidence to present to if ever anything gets sticky around the 'we weren't told' area because everything's there on camera.

• Like 1

if a car was written off, mileage was considered incorrect, on finance etc then you, as a motor trader would be expected to know this, its part of your job, checking out its history, so, you should inform the customer who is not a motor trader, and is not expected to have the same knowledge / experience as you of these facts and let the buyer consider. So, if while checking out this car, you notice a panel off shade, would you bring this to his / her attention? no, because its there to be seen, if its brought up by the customer, you would discuss it, and come to a conclusion. So, if while checking out the logbook, you have a concern, that you may think, would distract a customer from purchasing it, then yes you would bring it to there attention.

SHOW THEM THE LOGBOOK SHOW THEM THE MOT SHOW THEM ANY HISTORY CHECKS YOUVE CARRIED OUT :)

11 hours ago, have a word with the wife said:

if a car was written off, mileage was considered incorrect, on finance etc then you, as a motor trader would be expected to know this, its part of your job, checking out its history, so, you should inform the customer who is not a motor trader, and is not expected to have the same knowledge / experience as you of these facts and let the buyer consider. So, if while checking out this car, you notice a panel off shade, would you bring this to his / her attention? no, because its there to be seen, if its brought up by the customer, you would discuss it, and come to a conclusion. So, if while checking out the logbook, you have a concern, that you may think, would distract a customer from purchasing it, then yes you would bring it to there attention.

SHOW THEM THE LOGBOOK SHOW THEM THE MOT SHOW THEM ANY HISTORY CHECKS YOUVE CARRIED OUT :)

We have now added a question on our order forms, Would you like a copy of the front of the v5 document.

13 minutes ago, tradex said:

Good point, our Ebay purchased PDI form has this as 'Documents checked', the Lawgistics PDI doesn't included it.

We are working on our own PDI (yes I know, said that in November) and it will also have,

"arse wiped"

"noise blown"

"hand held"

"smoke blown up my backside"

or "nose" even:wacko:

Haha quality

My favourite has always been customer collects a Qashqai .. no more than 5 mins later she calls was the anger of a x1000 demon's

"this car is broken already .. the seat belt warning buzzer will not turn off ... if this is what i am to expect from the car i want a full refund.. compensation.. free trip to mexico" (you know the script) "

"No worries Mrs customer come back and lets have a look" 

Pull's in with handbag on passenger seat , which was setting the alarm off.... maybe we need to advise of this next time too.. but how much info is too much info .. ? 

Anyways she left.. quite embarrassed and the same colour that she had actually been to mexico for a 2 weeks with no sun cream :lol: 

• Like 1