Sign in to follow this  
used car seller

roadside pitches dropping like flys

them roadside pitches are dropping like flys round here dont know about near you, one minute its all flags and this weeks special, next week its a car wash for £4 !

not even chance for another trader to take note and enquire on the rent before the lads are in with there chamois, cant quite work out how theyre making it pay with so many of them about and the low prices and lack of custom, i have my suspicions but thats one for the law to investigate,

with the internet is passing trade dead then ? have we seen the last of the bunting flags and portacabin ?

internet and sat nav seems to be a great boon to the buyer on the lookout from home for his next purchase, and visit a warehouse type set up on a small industrial estate, its certainly happening quick in west yorkshire, very sad i think ?

post-234-0-59581200-1393024782_thumb.jpg

It's the same down here. We've had three pitches locally that were used car sites all transforming into hand car washes. I'm with you on how do they make it pay - I can't see that they do.

Fair enough when there's one or two in town but we've got four. And I'd still rather wash my car myself...

Ive experienced this first hand...

The place I worked previously was a main road 70 car used site. Back 6-7 years ago when it was busy it was selling 100-120 per month. When I left in July last year it was stocking the same amount of cars but struggling to 25-30 a month.

Now working for a smaller site on the corner of a business park 'out in the sticks' stocking 40 and doing 30 a month easily with internet and satnav being the AutoTrader magazine of the past.

Times have definitely changed!

• Like 2

I have 4 hand car washed with in shouting distance - One opposite - 3 less than 1/4 of mile !

Interesting as to how these guys make it pay  but more amazing one of the sites I've thought would make a great car sales front that I've looked at many time .. as soon as it was empty it was snapped up ..I rang to find out after about 3/4 days when I told it was empty and the ' car wash' guys had secured it with in 2 weeks walls moved - new entrance added and trading ! now that's speed - have they got planning ? did they get planning for new entrance ? ( we know how long that takes!) seems like they just get on with it - new signage, new equipment , matching clothing - very professional ! 

• Like 1

It's the same down here. We've had three pitches locally that were used car sites all transforming into hand car washes. I'm with you on how do they make it pay - I can't see that they do.

Fair enough when there's one or two in town but we've got four. And I'd still rather wash my car myself...

I can think of one or two reasons how they make it pay.......