Sign in to follow this  
Gavin@Rousdon

Where do you prefer to source your stock? BCA, Sytner Auction, Dealer Auction etc etc

Whats everyones prefered method of sourcing stock?

For me about 70% is from BCA, I like ex-fleet German cars and BCA normally have a good supply, I may have to wait 2-3 weeks for the spec I like but I know BCA can offer a steady supply. With VWFS, BMW open and Fleet sales I can always find something to stock. I don't like the excessive charges which add about £300 onto the sale price but there is no way around it.

I like the concept of Sytner and Dealer-Auction but do find some of the discriptions or lack of them put me off buying. Lots of dealers seem to avoid talking about how the car drives and most seem to want to cover their backs with disclaimers about it being a 'Trade Auction', all well and good but a 10 minute test drive wouldn't harm anyone. Saying that some dealers give a fantastic discription and I feel 100% confident bidding on their cars.

As for ATM, well that became a joke many years ago with retail prices for stock, lazy 'please spec check' discriptions and every rising subscription fees.

I'm an Auction man, with the majority now coming from Manheim and BCA as their online buying facilities are top notch IMO. Also use SMAG, Shott's and Central Car Auctions up in Scotland although not as much as I used to. I agree about auction fees, especially when they include basic mechanical reports at £40 a time but like you say, what can you do apart from take the hit.

Can't remember the last time I bought off ATM and don't anticipate doing so any time soon. I do find it useful for disposing of bits of stock though so for £600 a year it's just about worth keeping it on.

I only discovered dealer auction 6 months ago and whilst it's ebay style bidding format frustrates the hell out of me sometimes I too like the concept of it and find it a much more user friendly as well as giving me more confidence when buying than auction 4 cars.

BCA here is my no.1 source, dealer auction is used sometimes but traders get trigger happy on there and bump the prices up way too much, Had a trial on ATM and didn't think much of it!