Philip Nothard

2014 starting blocks

Happy New Year all.

How has the month started for you? 

Is the retail and footfall, as you expected or more?

Volumes look to be up at the auctions; however, one report is that the quality for some could still be an issue/concern - along with prime stock attaining CAP+ figures in some cases.

Without mentioning the SMMT figures too much and the debate around transparency of registrations, will or has this sparks a 'good feeling' factor in the industry and consumers?

In brief;

Is footfall and enquiries up or down?

Is stock in enough supply to meet requirements and demand?

Will the retail prices hold enough margin against trade values being paid?

• Like 1

For me (a small independent) enquires and sales are up compared to last year.

As for stock, I'm stuggling to find my standard stock so I'm trying to be alittle more open minded about what I buy. Prices on Dealer-Auction and Sytner seem to be increasing without entring 'the crazy zone' but also a lot of cars don't seem to be meeting their reserves, weather this is because the dealer has set them too high or if the car do stand them in a to much only they can answer.

Only purchased one ex-fleet car from  BCA so far and paid a shade under CAP Clean for a Grade 2 Audi A3 TDi. Got about 10 cars lined up for tomorrow from BCA and Dealer-Auction so I guess I will find out how prices are holding up but I'm not expecting any bargins!!!

• Like 2

Pleased to say a better start here , hope it doesn't slow down !

Have plenty of great stock !

Seems very mixed views out there with regards to sales/activity from what I'm hearing ?

A good start here too.

Dealer-Auction is populated by dealers/agents that are convinced their stock is worth good money when lots of it should be bottom book.

Still selling down here, got some big gaps in the forecourt now !!!

As for buying, a Grade 2 (should have been a 3)  BMW at CAP Average out of Blackbushe on Friday and then I've watched in amazment as a couple of A4 Convertible's  made £500 & £1200 over book on dealer auction and then an X-Trail did the same.

Lets see what next week brings in the crazy world of car buying !!!

I personally think there's a few Joe Public buying via DA.

I personally think there's a few Joe Public buying via DA.

Possibly. I think I'll be giving DA a miss for a while. Difficult to compete against a home trader who will will invest £3800 to sell for £4400 and a 30 car lot like myself who will buy 'up north' for 3k needing prep and obviously transportation  and sell 'down south' for 4k and that's without even thinking about cambelts. Ridiculous.

I don't do our buying, but it strikes me as expensive and often not as described. We went miles away to fetch a Passat from Sussex - got there and the clutch was buggered. Not a mention in the description.

Gone deader than a dead parrot in the boneyard at midnight. :(