James Baggott

What's the biggest threat to the car industry in 2014?

As the year draws to a close our thoughts are turning to what the next 12 months may bring. While there's going to be countless opportunities out there, there are also going to be some obstacles put in our way.

What do you think will be the biggest threat to our industry in the coming year? Legislation? Apathy?

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

From our point of view a contraction in the economy would be most feared. After that the DPF will affect trade, likely in a negative way but let's see.

James

I think one of the biggest problems this year will be complacency! After a good few hard years all of a sudden everyone is jumping for joy, however things are not aback to what they were before the recession , far from it! Margins are smaller and costs are much higher, but all it takes is for us as business owners to take our eyes off the ball for a minute for everything to go pear shaped again!

We now need to build on what has been a steady year to make 2014 a real year of growth, become complacent and start taking thinks for granted would be the wrong thing to do!

The European Economy is still very shaky, this could easily go into decline and this could impact us.

It seems that our current economic growth is based on consumer spend rather than manufacturing output and sales, which could easily faulter and put us back where we were.

I see your point, but manufacturing is usually one of the first to pick up, and here in The Midlands it definitely has, since July/August order books are going loads better.