Sign in to follow this  
trade vet

Storeytime

In the cafe at the block and the conversation turns to 'there is a punter for anything'.Mentioned were seized Sierra Cosworths being good sellers,so were old Ladas as you could get good money for them from Russian trawlermen,1 year old, half price Austin Princess Wedges etc.( you will already have guessed,we are all Saga qualifiers) One of the guys then says remember the 2 fire engines !He had been at the local plant sale which had included 2 fire engines.The first one comes up non runner,sold as it stands lying in the yard,remove it yourself etc.,there was no bids,so the auctioneer asks our guy for an opening bid to get things going.He obliges,bids £500......bosh he's bought it.The next one comes up and the auctioneer without looking just knocks it down to our guy again for £500 to the amusement of everyone.Anyway,he settles up,gets the keys and has absolutely no idea what to do.He subsequently finds out they are both "off the button",sound healthy and are well shod,have plenty of fuel and drive ! Goes home tells his wife who goes bonkers.So in order to save money on hiring a low loader and to look official,he dons blue overalls,white shirt with crested tie and drives them back to his pitch 10 miles away without any trouble.He advertises them for £2000 each in some plant/machinery mag and sells them.One buyer owned a amusement park and by having a fire engine on site,it shaved several thousand from his insurance premiums.The other buyer was a speedway stadium who needed to regularly water the track......any more past glories !!

l

Bought an ambulance from Bradford banger auctions back in the mid 90s...old V6 transit I believe complete with red leatherette stretchers etc. No one offered a bid so Johnny looked over, mouthed £150 at me and misread my look of complete disinterest as a valid sign of affirmation.

Needless to say, everyone propping up the burger shed in the corner found this highly amusing.

My mech who'd come along for the evening was only too happy to drive it back to Leeds...can't say I was overly joyed at being overtaken at the red lights at Thornbury by a tatty looking transit on blues and twos but figured it was his licence so hey?

Anyhow, gave it a wash and stuck it on the ad on trader following week at a speculative multiple of the purchase price....unbelievably, the phone started ringing at 7.15 on the Friday morning that the rag came out and was still going well into the following week. Needless to say, it had gone by lunchtime to a guy from Barnsley who was going to convert it into a camper...

Hi guys 1st post so go easy, my father (72) proper old school  purchased a genuine 40k Renault Grand scenic 2008 1.6 auto for 600 with a check gearbox message illuminated and running like a burst ball from central car auctions Glasgow.  Car was struggling to drive away and running on literally 1 cylinder once paid for and our driver called to say he had broken down outside auction turned out someone had unplugged 1 of the individual coils which once plugged in made car run perfectly (surprise surprise) once car arrived at garage we deleted the coil related code and hey presto no lights or check gearbox message! ! Advertised for 1950 and sold next day for 1650 plus a n reg tidy mazda bongo auto free top which needed drop links and brake discs and pads for mot and promptly sold for 3950.  No comebacks and punter thought he had won a watch with a low miler 08 7 seater.  Bloody Renaults eh?

Edited by Ek cars

17 hours ago, CGF said:

Bought an ambulance from Bradford banger auctions back in the mid 90s...old V6 transit I believe complete with red leatherette stretchers etc. No one offered a bid so Johnny looked over, mouthed £150 at me and misread my look of complete disinterest as a valid sign of affirmation.

Needless to say, everyone propping up the burger shed in the corner found this highly amusing.

My mech who'd come along for the evening was only too happy to drive it back to Leeds...can't say I was overly joyed at being overtaken at the red lights at Thornbury by a tatty looking transit on blues and twos but figured it was his licence so hey?

Anyhow, gave it a wash and stuck it on the ad on trader following week at a speculative multiple of the purchase price....unbelievably, the phone started ringing at 7.15 on the Friday morning that the rag came out and was still going well into the following week. Needless to say, it had gone by lunchtime to a guy from Barnsley who was going to convert it into a camper...

Hi CGF

Did you not want to buy more ambulances..

8 hours ago, Ek cars said:

Hi guys 1st post so go easy, my father (72) proper old school  purchased a genuine 40k Renault Grand scenic 2008 1.6 auto for 600 with a check gearbox message illuminated and running like a burst ball from central car auctions Glasgow.  Car was struggling to drive away and running on literally 1 cylinder once paid for and our driver called to say he had broken down outside auction turned out someone had unplugged 1 of the individual coils which once plugged in made car run perfectly (surprise surprise) once car arrived at garage we deleted the coil related code and hey presto no lights or check gearbox message! ! Advertised for 1950 and sold next day for 1650 plus a n reg tidy mazda bongo auto free top which needed drop links and brake discs and pads for mot and promptly sold for 3950.  No comebacks and punter thought he had won a watch with a low miler 08 7 seater.  Bloody Renaults eh?

Hi Ek

Central ,I remember them from the meat market years ago.I used to buy from Beiths,I did not like Central.Your father will know what I mean.....you have just jogged my memory !

50 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Hi CGF

Did you not want to buy more ambulances..

Hi Ek

Central ,I remember them from the meat market years ago.I used to buy from Beiths,I did not like Central.Your father will know what I mean.....you have just jogged my memory !

By the way,what a great deal !