Sign in to follow this  
jimreidvehicle

BBC News - Catalytic converter thefts double as metal prices rise. Have you been affected?

Have you been affected by this?

Only last month our local MOT station had 4 Cat's stolen and local car dealer 6 stolen (all from 4x4's) this is because the road clearance makes it much easier for the thieves to crawl under wither specially designed cutters! Seemingly the whole illegal de-cat takes around 2mins but the cost to replace can be upwards of £500 per vehicle.

So how can we stop this from happening?

BBC News - Catalytic converter thefts double as metal prices rise http://bbc.in/HFMVrg

Happened to my Aunts Rav4. won't be taking my x5 to hers any time soon..

Apart from sticking 240v through em this is a hard one.. motion sensing alarms won't work

Did the 2 sites affected have motion sensor lighting, our local dealers swear that this helps

• Like 1

I wouldn't say this is a new issue, we had a visit one night last summer and they kindly removed 2 cats, one from a Ford Ranger and another from a Shogun, both very easy to crawl underneath. It seems to be a common problem here in Kent.

Pretty common around me, we've had our scrap metal stolen, wheels, cats etc

Also had a number of customers, mainly Disco owners having the spare wheels taken. I guess once your under the vehicle you might as well take that too

Never a problem until in the past couple of years, we've had a large amount of Irish caravanner's move in.. Needless to say my 4x4's will be kept inside over night now

Sadly we had our recovery targetted and attacked causing us the best part of two thousand pounds wortth of repairs. More could and should be done to crack down on scrap metal sales.

scrap metal dealers new [ish] regulations was supposed to cut this down, payment by cheque or bank transfer only, but when the same scrap metal dealers company can cash the cheque next door for 4% it doesnt help does it ?

Nope and the bastards are causing untold misery.