Sign in to follow this  

Talking to a fellow motor dealer earlier and we got talking about motivation! Well lack of to be honest, He is struggling to get the sales staff buzzing! I bounced a few ideas with him some he’s’ tried and lots that don’t do anything! What do you use to keep your staff motivated, performing at their best, offer world class service to customers and make some money at the same time for themselves and the dealer.

• Like 1

I would first look at each staff personnel record, then look at their values assessment? Have they done this and created a values pyramid for each staff? Humans work differently and are not always coin operated. Once you know your staff's values you will get the best from them, i often look through ours and have them in my draw next to me at all times, this works very well also when having to disipline staff as you can relate to their values. Also it is as simple as asking how they are today? And key questioning, "can i do anything to help you achieve ...... ?"  Have you set goals with staff for the year, i know one of our technicins is working for a new caravan, the apprentice wants a Swift Sport, a painter wants a baby (can't help him though) Understand your staffs needs and wants, same as selling a car

• Like 2

William Totally agree, everyone has different needs/ wants . When I was running a dealership I found out what motivated each one and its not always money -then tried to incentive that person. One of them loved the latest model ..so I'd sit there let him spec the car up and say right you do this and its yours ! Month in he always achieved what we'd agreed !

I've found its not just about the money. Money is only a motivator for so long, eventually they get used to it. I have created different incentives for top performers. Given them a clear target and then the top performer gets a night away at a hotel, some tech, something they wouldn't buy.

My last sales team was 55 strong. As well as the commission, I set 12 targets, one for each month, changing these to mix it up, from top revenue, to most units, to most improved, to top service.. this gave everyone a change to win and ensured it was motivational to all rather than my top 2 or three performers. We then let them pick what price they wanted. We had things like Hot Air balloon ride, 4 tickets to Alton Towers, 2 tickets to Paris on the Eurostar, etc...

It worked really well, didn't cost the earth and really motivated the team

Back when I was selling cars we would occasionally create a bit of competition to get the team fired up.

Three envelopes would be put on the sales managers desk (each with a prize contained within)

As a sale was made, the sales person would collect an envelope. When the fourth sale was made, the sales person would take the envelope from the sales person who had made the first sale.

The envelopes would pass from hand to hand all day (if you kept selling you could potentially have all three envelopes, and more chance of keeping one!)

Great competition and great fun!