Dutchy

Selling Low Value Cars: Satisfactory Quality

Evening All,

Just a bit of advice really, I do a bit of part time trading from home and always declare that I'm a trader and don't try and shirk responsibilities around Consumer Rights Act etc. 

I've taken in a Jag S Type 4.0 V8, generally decent car with good bit of history, low mileage, low owners etc. It sailed through an MOT last week with no advisories. The only fault was a coolant radiator leak (which I've just replaced), and the central locking being intermittent from the fob. 

Basically, it's going to be advertised with faults listed and in generally good condition otherwise. Problem I've got is it's a little older, and a little cheaper than the stuff I usually sell, plus it's a 17 year old Jag and they're not exactly renowned for their reliability.

So my question is; I can prove at this moment in time during any inspection, that it's fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and as described but if, in a month's time the gearbox gives up or a head gasket blows, how do I prove that when I sold the car, it was all 3 of the above? (Bearing in mind I've already had interest from young lads who just want to buy it to rag it about). What is 'satisfactory quality' for a car around the £1k mark? 

I would rather not go down the listing as 'spares or repairs' route because that's making the car out to be a scrapper when it's not (as well as not really standing up well if it went legal).

Ultimately, how do you guys actually prove that when the car leaves you, it's compliant? 

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was unable to find it as an existing topic. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ask a mechanic to do a PDI report on it. All our cars have have a PDI report included. 

Yep as Tom says cover your ass properly and get it PDI'd. I have a 140 point PDI pad from Lawgistic's that my Master Tech uses for every car, which is checked off, signed and stamped. The customer gets a copy which he also signs, and a copy goes in your file.

I use the lawgistics unroadworthy vehicle pads

and maybe sell via ebay