Sign in to follow this  
jimreidvehicle

Should all online Classified Websites be pay per lead only?

Imagine a world where you only paid Classified Websites on delivering leads to you.

Surely that would be best for dealer and for the Classified owners?

We dealers would know exactly where our leads are coming from , the quality of them and what they are costing you. This way you only pay for what you receive.

For Classifieds bit would mean they would ensure that they consistently delivered quality leads so they can make money.

Isn't it not about time Classifieds become accountable and start working harder on our behalf? Instead of just charging a flat monthly fee to advertise your stock that you have taken the risk on? 

My feeling is times are about to change online and for the better and those greedy Classifieds who stick to the same attitude and business model will either change to survive or stay the same and die off?

your thoughts?

what would you pay for a quality lead?

Sub prime leads for me please Jim. ;) I would pay money for such leads such as HP declines etc providing I knew where they are coming from, lots of rogue firms out there fishing for data and breaking lots of date protection and TPS laws.

The thing is I don't think there is enough leads for the amount of dealers who want them, Some big car supermarket or sub prime giant will just come along and buy the lot. 

I agree with everything you've said Jim completely... and in an ideal world that would be brilliant, and the industry needs to change one by one dragging its sorry looking ass out of the 1970's!

However the whole market needs to change from point of entry to generate enough data to feed the industry properly!

So for example how many people are out there looking for a new or replacement car that fall under the radar? i.e. no one knows they are looking for a car, because they just surf websites or visit dealers looking at cars until they find what they're looking for and go unnoticed? I think the answer to this is still the vast majority.

In an ideal world the existing platforms need to try and capture good quality and detailed customer data at point of entry to generate good quality and accurate leads. This almost needs to happen before any search can be completed.

But here lies the problem... People still don't trust the car trade, hate being sold to, and hate giving their details in fear of being bombarded or sold something they just want. Just look at how a lot of main dealers still operate in terms of the hard sell! 10k basic salesmen prematurely going in for the close like a desperate puppy hammering the F&R until the customer caves in and signs on the 42 month dotted line...

Sure there are people out there that don't mind and really appreciate the help in finding their perfect vehicle at the right monthly, but these people are still in the minority. So how does the industry shake the image and get customers to trust us enough to give us their details, desires and working budget, because I don't think we've anywhere near cracked this one yet?