Sign in to follow this  
LOVECARS

Where do I stand?

Customer bought a car around 6 weeks ago and I have just put a turbo on it as it failed. He now tells me there is a noise coming from clutch/flywheel which he has had investigated and it does it when he pulls away. Do I have to replace clutch and flywheel or because it hasn't 'failed' do I tell him to get on his bike? Like I said im not unreasonable ive already replaced his turbo free of charge. The car is an A3.

Let me know your thoughts?

What year and mileage is the car? For example if the car is 15 years old and has done 150k makes a difference than if its a 4 year old vehicle with 25k

1 hour ago, M.J said:

What year and mileage is the car? For example if the car is 15 years old and has done 150k makes a difference than if its a 4 year old vehicle with 25k

2006 with 111,000 miles

As the clutch is still fully operational then i'd class the odd noise and rattle on an 11 year old car with 111k as fair wear and tear and to be expected.

You could ask for a copy of "had investigated " but that may be a possible can of worms if its a well worded quote, is there room to meet him in the middle that's where i normally start such as you buy parts he pays for fitting, if he refuses then at least if it goes further you have shown good faith in an attempt to help him.

Technically a clutch is a wear and tear item and therefore wouldn't be covered under warranty. I usually make this clear to buyers in black and white on my invoice, and they sign my invoice stating that they accept this. The fine print on my invoice also states that the warranty is at the discretion of the seller (me) 

However try telling this to some people when something goes wrong.

It really depends on the buyer, whether they will accept this or not. Some will, some will quote they're rights and pursue it further.

I've been on test drives with buyers who have been slipping the clutch unknowingly or resting their leg on the clutch pedal without being aware of it. It's the first thing I look out for and those buyers are reminded over and over that clutch isn't covered and if they continue to rest their leg there, the clutch won't last very long.

Sold a 09 Focus with 70k last year with 12 month comprehensive 3rd party warranty. In my eyes it drove perfectly and clutch/flywheel seemed 100%. 11 days later I get a text from the new owner saying clutch had gone on the motorway. Warranty company recovered car for free but wouldn't cover the clutch. Owner back on the text giving me grief but wouldn't answer my calls or speak to me.

With all the grief and it being so soon after sale I offered to cover costs. Thinking it may have been just the slave cylinder and nothing major. Car was hours away at a garage. Mechanic split the box to find release bearing worn through the pressure plate and all the forks broken. Customer had left her leg on it constantly for 11 days. I paid his motor factors for the clutch kit over the phone and in total it cost me over 400 quid inc. labour.

Mechanic told her why it went. Customer never contacted me to thank me for fixing her carelessness. Not a word from her until about 3 or 4 months later, when I got another text from her out of the blue, to inform me that the clutch had gone again!

She went on to inform me that a clutch shouldn't go twice within 4 months in a car of this value, (NO S#IT SHERLOCK) She contacted the mechanic who fitted the last one who said I supplied the last clutch kit so he wouldn't cover it. 

I never replied to her texts nor did I ever hear from her again.