Sign in to follow this  
ArthurDaley

Named Driver Car Insurance NCD after Bereavement of Main Driver

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but my father recently passed away very unexpectedly. My mother was a named driver on his private car policy. Both my father and mother have 20 year plus NCD but my mother has only been a named driver.

My father was with the same insurance company for about 15 years but changed to a new insurer a few months ago.

My mother now wants to be the main driver.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I right in thinking my mother won't have built up a no claims discount given she's a named driver or does anyone know of an insurance company that acknowledges an NCD for a named driver?

Many thanks in advance.

Named drivers don’t appear to qualify for no claims discount when taking out their own policy.We had a similar experience having been individually named for social domestic and pleasure on our fairly expensive company fleet policy which we had with the same insurer for many years.When we retired ,we were taken off our company policy and took out a new private policy with the same insurer.They accepted my application which included full no claims discount so I settled up.Sometime later,I was informed that my no claims discount had been disallowed and that the cover would be cancelled if I did not immediately pay the balance they requested.Although I thought  this to be very unfair,I paid the balance ‘ under protest ‘ and complained to The Ombudsman.

Sometime later The Ombudsman service got back and they agreed with the insurance company that we did not qualify for any no claims discount and we would have to start afresh having been previously comprehensively covered to drive any car by the same insurer for 40 years without making a single claim.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the reply trade vet - I'd imagine there will be a hefty increase in the premium if the named driver can't claim any NCD.

It's me driving the car most of the time so I might be better off taking on the car myself [I'd imagine I'd have to register it in my name then if I'm insured as the main driver] and having mother as the named driver.

In saying that though, I've only ever held a motor trade policy so all my NCD is on a trade policy. I'm pretty sure only Direct Line acknowledge a motor trade NCD, I think most insurers don't ever allow a motor trade NCD when starting a private policy.

Thanks again trade vet, I've only ever had dealings with motor trade policies. I'll call the current insurer tomorrow and see what they say.

A quick Google says that Sainsburys will look at the driving history of a named driver.

https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/car-insurance/features/named-driver

2 hours ago, ArthurDaley said:

Many thanks for the reply trade vet - I'd imagine there will be a hefty increase in the premium if the named driver can't claim any NCD.

It's me driving the car most of the time so I might be better off taking on the car myself [I'd imagine I'd have to register it in my name then if I'm insured as the main driver] and having mother as the named driver.

In saying that though, I've only ever held a motor trade policy so all my NCD is on a trade policy. I'm pretty sure only Direct Line acknowledge a motor trade NCD, I think most insurers don't ever allow a motor trade NCD when starting a private policy.

Thanks again trade vet, I've only ever had dealings with motor trade policies. I'll call the current insurer tomorrow and see what they say.

Not 100% sure but I heard Churchill’s may consider trade NCD?