Sign in to follow this  
arashtrip

Car Tax

Hi,

I just had to tax a car that was in trade (due to the clamping issue as the car was on the road). So I used the V5C/2 ref number to tax it but did not register it in my name.

What happens when I want to sell the car? Is the new keeper able to use the same V5C/2 number to tax it in their name. DVLA staff told me no and advised that the new keeper needs to do it at a post office.

So, can I still keep my tax active on the car until they tax it themselves or the moment that I inform the DVLA about them as a new keeper, my tax will be cancelled?

What is the best course of action in this scenario?

Scrap the car and run for the hills:lol:

How did you manage to get it unclamped if not In your name and not on the mid on your trade policy

And why would an untaxed car be on the road 

So many questions and so little time 

Why was it on the road without trade plates?

In regards to the tax, you’ve taxed it as the new keeper, so keeper change on the V5 will have no effect. I’ve done this a few times when I’ve had a car in stock that I’ve decided to run for my own use and tax’d them. When I do retail them, I’ll inform the customer that it comes with some remaining tax but will run out on ‘x’ date, then they can tax it themselves, either off the new keeper slip or the V5 once they have it in their name.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 1:00 PM, It's me said:

Scrap the car and run for the hills:lol:

How did you manage to get it unclamped if not In your name and not on the mid on your trade policy

And why would an untaxed car be on the road 

So many questions and so little time 

actually it was unclamped in 20 mins :D