Sign in to follow this  
Tom

Selling a car to another country

Is this simply a case of filling out the blue slip? Anyone done it before?

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more

I think your right in what your thinking, the actual shipping part and the paperwork that goes with it will be something different. Are you shipping it or is a customer arranging the shipment ? I'm assuming the car needs to be in the customers name and then it gets exported, you couldn't export it while its in the trade or thats what i would assume.

The country where the car is going will need to see it in the customers name (just like taking a car outside the UK) so the new owner will need to do this.

Really very straightforward, send blue slip to swansea and give customer rest of V5. If he is organising the shipping its up to him to remove car and take it to docks, or alternatively the shipper will tell you where the car needs to be delivered. Its then up to the shipping company to load etc. (this assumes he's not literally driving it away himself and taking it on a ferry).... 

If you are exporting outside the European Economic zone then there will be no Vat liability on the sale. To qualify for this you will need a copy of the "bill of lading" which is a standard document the Shipping Agent will let you have.  

He's driving it back to Germany it's my own personal car in my name. 

We have just sold one to Cyprus .... I'm taking it to the docks on Thursday.