Sign in to follow this  
RacingPuma

Are sports car boots too small in today's world?

It always amazes me when small sports car companies produce a "Porsche 911 rival" or "Porsche Boxster rival" - you'd think they would choose an easier target. 

There are many reasons why a car buyer may finally go for a Porsche after considering rivals but I'd be interested in dealer views on one major factor - boot size.

The way I see it is that most people who buy a 2 seat sports car (for road use, not a track day car) still want enough luggage space for 2 people on long weekend away. Very few sports cars provide this, especially for people unwilling or unable to "travel light". 

The Porsche Boxster and Cayman have 2 boots which are fairly generous compared to rivals.

The Porsche 911 is classified as a 2+2, but is typically used as a 2 seater with extra luggage space

So -

Would it be easier to sell a 2 seat sports car if it had a decent sized boot?

Is the large boot the secret to Porsche's success?

Should the next small sports car company to take on Porsche go for a big boot rather than track day dynamics?

I think this is a good point, how many more MR2 Mk3 would Toyota have sold if it actually had a boot. No boot at all harked back to the days of the frogeye !

I'm not a golfer, but I know plenty of punters who have struck a car off their list because they can't fit their clubs in. Given that with every model cars are getting larger I can't see why they can't give us more space.

Saying that, the wife uses her mini convertible down the stables, it can fit a bale in hay in the back..... with the roof down and the seats flat !

If they made the boots bigger we wouldn't see the idiots coming back from Ikea with the roof down and a coffee table hanging out if it!!

• Like 3

Andy, I nearly bought an MR2 mk3 a few years back, but the boot was such a joke I went for the more practical option of a Lotus Elise!

Most small sports cars seem to be bought as second cars where boot space isn't absolutely critical, but it'll be interesting to see how the F Type does once the inital launch frenzy has died down as the boot in that is a whole new level of tiny.

Anyway, where there's a will there's a way...

IMGP0410.jpg

• Like 2