Sign in to follow this  
JDM1983

MK3 Clio Boot Locking Problem

Got a MK3 Clio RS at the moment on which the boot doesn’t lock. You can open the tailgate no problem, but when the car is locked the boot is still unlocked. Some reading on the web suggests the boot locking mechanism is a common problem, I checked mine and it has power to it, but was broken around the plug area causing it to action the boot opening mechanism randomly as the plug moves. I’ve replaced the part (brand new), however it still doesn’t lock the boot. Any ideas before I throw it in the garage? 

Check it's not full of water under the passenger front carpet. Rots the multiplug pins

I've had a couple of Clio's do very strange things where water ingress in the multiplug is the cause.

The water ingress is caused by blocked scuttle drain. Crap design on a Clio and prone to blocking

2 minutes ago, AAM90 said:

Check it's not full of water under the passenger front carpet. Rots the multiplug pins

I've had a couple of Clio's do very strange things where water ingress in the multiplug is the cause.

The water ingress is caused by blocked scuttle drain. Crap design on a Clio and prone to blocking

It’s interesting you say this, after washing the car the other day, I took it out to photograph, and I could hear sloshing water coming from what seemed like the scuttle area! 

20min job to clear the scuttle. Take of wiper arms etc and completely remove the cover to get all the debris out.

The mutiplug in question is located under the carpet passenger side. There are about 50 wires and pins. If your lucky you will see a green pin which can be cleaned with contact cleaner.

If your unlucky like I once was the pins will be rotten. My auto electrician spent a good few hours soldering!

Great advice thanks, I will take a look at this. Given the cars has spent the last 3 years garaged, I’m keeping my fingers crossed its not too bad :unsure: