Sign in to follow this  
MJG50

Changing a Naff Private Plate Back to Original Year Plate

I'm looking at buying a BMW for the wife from the block, it's a 65 plate car but it's on a naff looking 60 plate with the previous owner's initials. The car is being sold on this naff 60 plate and naturally the wife would rather have the 65 plate.

It's a shame the local VRO offices closed years ago as they used to be pretty helpful with this type of stuff.

Does anyone know the procedure to get the old 65 plate back and will it be the plate that car was first registered with when new or will it be a different 65 plate?

What will happen to the naff 60 private plate - I can't imagine it's worth anything and I don't want it

Also, how do I notify the road tax that the plate has changed?

Many thanks in advance

Simple.

Buy the car

Register it

When log book comes back, place naff plate on retention - £80

You will be issued with an age related plate and new V5 (more than likely the original unless they sold it)

MOT and TAX update automatically relevant to whatever the last log book says.

Stick naff plate on eBay or simply le5 the retention expire.

9 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Simple.

Buy the car

Register it

When log book comes back, place naff plate on retention - £80

You will be issued with an age related plate and new V5 (more than likely the original unless they sold it)

MOT and TAX update automatically relevant to whatever the last log book says.

Stick naff plate on eBay or simply le5 the retention expire.

This !!

I have done a fair few now, and always got the original reg back ;)

Always done it online. It’s simple. I always get the original plate back. I had a naff plate once and tried my luck selling to a number plate firm. They gave me about 400 quid for it. It wasn’t even good number. 

Agreed, much easier on line, I remember my first one waaaaaay back at LVLO Sidcup, 2 bloody trips back home to Gravesend because there was this paperwork missing, that paperwork etc :rolleyes:

LOL, you'd be surprised what some folk will pay for PP's even naff ones ;)

All of mine have been bough off DVLA sub £400 and they are all nice plates, DVLA T'Fer fee included too.

Many thanks for the info Mark - typically, the wife changed her mind about getting that BMW but it's good to know for future reference. I'm glad to hear it's simple to sort out.