Personalised plates

We got asked the other day about personalised plates. Getting them sorted by the DVLA took too long, we were told, although there was some talk of the DVLA getting it sorted.

So we got on to the DVLA. And yes, they have sorted it - and it's now instant, so no more delays (well, in theory - we ARE talking about the DVLA, after all....)

Here's what the DVLA says:

I can confirm the service to take a registration number off a vehicle online allows motor traders as well as customers to take a registration number off a vehicle – i.e. retain a registration number.

The service provides instant confirmation that the number has been taken off the vehicle and provides the replacement number which has been allocated to the vehicle. If the application is approved the new V5C vehicle registration certificate (logbook) for the vehicle with the replacement registration number and the retention certificate will be sent to the registered keeper.

From March 9, 2015 the cost to retain a registration number was reduced to £80. This change also saw the removal of the £25 annual renewal fee and the retention period extended to 10 years.

To use the service motorists will need:

• the 11 digit document reference number from the latest V5C
  • a valid credit or debit card

Motor traders can input their email address to receive confirmation of the transaction which they can use to get the replacement number plates made up.

The service is available on www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

Does that help??

Colin, They seemed to have got it right ( Hope they break it now !! ) Did a on line retention last week - easy , simple instant replacement number given for the car - and the new V5 arrived within two days - Thats what I call service ! 

Also did a transfer and that came back with the new V5's with in 4 days ....lets all hope this is now the normal turnaround ! Well done DVLA 

Well, I hope the above example is the norm and my experience was a one-off. We tried to put a plate on retention and got a message come up saying 'our records show this plate cannot be transferred'. We rang the DVLA who told us: 'it's a new system, we don't expect it to work properly yet - just send in a form like before'! 

To be fair, once the forms were sent in we did get back the new V5 in about 5 days - a big improvement on the 3+ weeks it used to take.