Sign in to follow this  
Mark101

Wish I had kept my mouth shut :(

Called Insurance broker yesterday to enquire about adding additional "casual" drivers to my policy - I had this option as well as lending out courtesy cars when I had the pitch but apparanetly it has changed - all drivers need to be on the payroll nowadays - fair enough, I accept that but.....

In my infinite wisdom and as I had been on hold for so long, I asked Autonet to change my trading name on the policy.  Started as a sole trader in February and paid insurance in full upfront; I have since incorporated the business and used something other than my own name - a brand if you like.

There has been no changes to the premises, drivers, phone numbers, address, indemnity levels etc etc etc, just a name change.  As I am now a Ltd company, that'll be +£508 for the remainder of the policy Sir. 

I said, cancel the policy then, refund me and I will shop around.

She said, I can do that Sir but as a fully paid up Tradewise customer, they will charge you 75% of the annual premium.

So I am bolloxed then?  Can you do anything?

She said, on this occassion we will not charge you our £37 admin fee (this is the only reason I hadn't said anything sooner because I didn't want to pay an admin fee), so that'll be £471 Sir to pay in full now (which I did of course).

She went on to say that I have an all singing all dancing 4* policy which covers are far broader range of vehicles, which is why it is so expensive.  Great I said, are motorcycles covered - no she said, that'll be extra.

Edited by Mark101

That was an expensive phone call, however could hve been more expensive if you needed to claim and the refused on the fact you didnt declare. I changed something minor on my last policy with a month to go and its cost me a oner