Sign in to follow this  
rich89

Autotraders sponsored listing

Do you guys pay for this?

We trialled it for 2 months and it seemed like it did have a positive effect but that's mostly by there own statistics which seems a bit 'happy'.

Obviously everytime you search for a car, the default is sponsored listings so are the general public staying or clicking cheapest first?

Edited by rich89

We've pulled out of AT altogether.

Sponsored listings seem like a waste of money - If everyone paid to sponsor their adverts, who'd be at the top?

We pulled out of AT too last year- made little to no difference but saves a fortune.  Their site is hopeless, crowded with adverts and they couldn't give a damn about us traders.  Price indicators, Sponsored ads etc - as I think many others have said on here before...

I stopped using them because of their continuing schemes to extort money out of the trade and sponsored adverts is one of those schemes, I have just done my year end advertising stats and I am only 3 car sales down from the last year that I was with them, it just shows that people will look on more than site, nice to think how much i have saved to sell 3 less cars ;-)))

• Like 1

So where do you guys advertise?

What sort of price range cars do you sell?

I'd love to get rid but AT seems the only place we actually sell from.

We sell 3-20k mostly with the core business being 5-10k. Mix of stock profile but all low miles, lots of autos if poss (as few german cars as possible) and nice cars/ spec. where we can. 

You've got to remember that people don't just pick a sales website and then search for cars anymore, they will search in the google bar etc, and then pick results from there.

We advertise on ebay (Motors pro classified with the best offer option enabled) not auctions, Facebook, Exchange and Mart, Motors, Car Gurus (you can use them for free). Motors and X&M who feed to many other sites like RAC cars etc. We use the excellent Click Dealer for our website needs.

I also do a local rag advert full page when I feel like it at £140 plus VAT.  All of that cost is CONSIDERABLY less than AT.

It's very funny but we still get customers telling us they saw the car on AT and swear blind - even though we've not advertised with them for over a year.

I've mentioned this before on another thread about my hatred of what AT have become and the fact that the world does not end when you leave them.

also, if your website is an AT website, then just because the punter ends up on there, doesn't mean that's where they went to first or how they came to your car.

• Like 1

NOACROSS, do you have a site or are you internet only?

Have a site, on a cross roads (35 cars- plus about same again in a compound over the road). Still, most purchases come from the internet.  Very few walk ons.  Not like the old days...

2 hours ago, rich89 said:

So where do you guys advertise?

What sort of price range cars do you sell?

I'd love to get rid but AT seems the only place we actually sell from.

we have honestly found that the local paper has worked well for us the last few months, so far 15 used cars sold this month and 10 were from people seeing it in the paper. we don't use autotrader either it never worked for us

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

We sell 3-20k mostly with the core business being 5-10k. Mix of stock profile but all low miles, lots of autos if poss (as few german cars as possible) and nice cars/ spec. where we can. 

You've got to remember that people don't just pick a sales website and then search for cars anymore, they will search in the google bar etc, and then pick results from there.

We advertise on ebay (Motors pro classified with the best offer option enabled) not auctions, Facebook, Exchange and Mart, Motors, Car Gurus (you can use them for free). Motors and X&M who feed to many other sites like RAC cars etc. We use the excellent Click Dealer for our website needs.

I also do a local rag advert full page when I feel like it at £140 plus VAT.  All of that cost is CONSIDERABLY less than AT.

It's very funny but we still get customers telling us they saw the car on AT and swear blind - even though we've not advertised with them for over a year.

I've mentioned this before on another thread about my hatred of what AT have become and the fact that the world does not end when you leave them.

also, if your website is an AT website, then just because the punter ends up on there, doesn't mean that's where they went to first or how they came to your car.

your stock profile mirrors mine and like you I am on every internet site except autotrader, and yes its funny how they still say they saw it on autotrader, I carry up to 60 cars main road well established showroom, lots of repeat and passing trade but mainly internet and as you say its google searches that people seem start with, and like yourself it is a click dealer website.

• Like 2