Sign in to follow this  
andymc1973

Peugeot 207 1.4 petrol depollution system faulty

Any experts on these? the car has had a full new exhaust (not cat) and the oxygen sensors look new, it's putting on the depollution light on start up and no more, cars runs fine, the machine says replace catalytic convertor, is this the general cause or a red herring, im just curious why the first place didnt change the cat?

thanks

Andy

These engines are a twat for burning oil, which is a common reason for the cats going on them. Alot of garages just stick an addative in to scrape through an MOT I've found, leaving a defective cat soldiering on for the remainder of the ticket. The situation not helped by the cat they're manifold cats too, so not the cheapest things in the world.

I'd have a look at oil consumption, if it's not drinking it, go for a cat, they are pretty common failures anyway, especially if it's a cheap(er) non type approved euro car parts jobbie.

2 hours ago, tradex said:

I think was a multiple post from earlier, but some nteresting points you raised there.

These engines are known for excess oil burning/usage? Been selling TU engines for nearly 20 years, in all it's different flavors. But you learn something everyday, been lucky I guess? From experience the big bore EW12 (2.2 407/607/807/C8's) can be a bit thirsty on oil, almost VAG/Porker terriatory.

Cata-clean, Cat-Service, Cat-a-Tonic, Cat-o-Meat, Cat 'n Alfie or anything other snake oil for regenerating cats is just that, snake oil. They are usually just a kerosene base fluid that won't do any damage per se, bar your wallet.

If you think about the chemistry how can it work? Anything that has been thru the combustion process unaltered (like Helium:)) must be fairly inert in the first place. But that doesn't stop people buying it, bit like instant-rebore, instant stop-smoke, instant-head gasket, instant-oil leak repair etc. Always thought thats a good market to be in, rarely get comebacks as who could be bothered for a few quid?

Most (all?) gasolene cat's are now close coupled (manifold mount) for shorter light-off times. I just had to fit a new cat' to a MY '01 CR-V and was amazed that it had an underbody cat', that was obsolete engineering even back then & there was a big step change in emissions for model year '01. Quite how it was homologated puzzles me...but then it wouldn't be first time an OE has been caught telling fibs and the Germans and Japs are repeat offenders;)

I think I've made an assumption on replying here, the engines which I/we have had experience of burning oil is the 16v EP3 engines, which we've seen many of for failed cats, much of the time down to excessive oil consumption. The old TU in it's earlier guise was (In my opinion), one of their best engines for simplicity and serviceability.

Re cat 'n alfie, I'm the biggest sceptic in the world mate, trust me. But it's hard to argue the bottle of pixie dust does do something when you're standing at the gas analyser for the MOT re-test, sniggering at the customer going to have to pay for another MOT and repairs because he's just chucked a bottle of this magic in, and then it passes.

I grant you, it works when emissions were marginal, it doesn't if something is miles out, it won't fix a hole in the exhaust for example, but I have eaten the humble pie on this more than once, so I have to offer credit where it's due, allbeit begrudgingly.

Took one in p/x recently too...gave £100 for it with the light on.

Poor guy had replaced the cat, load of sensors, exhaust and more and it still wasn't right. Didn't fancy getting involved in it myself