Sign in to follow this  
M.J

No test drives?

No test drives on certain vehicles, is this possible?

I wouldn't mind adding a couple of high performance vehicles to my stock, but i don't fancy allowing test drives on £40k Porsche's, Bmw's, etc. 

I'm thinking that i could tell the customer that motor trade insurance companies have stopped allowing customer test drives on high performance stock. I'll take them out in the car for as long as they like and if they are seriously interested in the vehicle then they leave a deposit and when they come to collect the vehicle i'll tell them i've 'added' them to our insurance policy so they can have a test drive before transferring funds. This would flush out all the joy riders. 

Would do you guys think?

It's the risk your are to have to take, if someone travels 3 hours then chances are they are not out on a jolly. I think I've only had one local that we took out on a test drive that was a time waster. We normally let the drive from the off but we have a GTR at the minute tuned to 700bhp and we are driving for the first 10 minutes until the engine is warm before letting them swap over, you could restrict performance until the car is warmed up - oil not water and then chose a test route where performance can be restricted.

• Like 1

Its really difficult. We've always allowed customers to test drive anything but I'm beginning to think we should be a bit harsher. Saying that I was moments away from saying somebody couldn't test drive our tesla for the third time, but the sales guy took him out and he bought it!

It is so incredibly difficult to work out who the messers are. I would say take a chance on the time wasters worst case you lose 20mins, but do not take a chance on the youngsters. I had a 21 year old took out a 911 and I genuinely feared for my life. A few stern words and we swiftly returned to the dealership.

My fault for being greedy and believing his story as the car had a decent margin - in hindsight he was just a kid wanting to drive a 911!

1 hour ago, Steve92 said:

It's the risk your are to have to take, if someone travels 3 hours then chances are they are not out on a jolly. I think I've only had one local that we took out on a test drive that was a time waster. We normally let the drive from the off but we have a GTR at the minute tuned to 700bhp and we are driving for the first 10 minutes until the engine is warm before letting them swap over, you could restrict performance until the car is warmed up - oil not water and then chose a test route where performance can be restricted.

Thats not a bad idea at all actually!