Sign in to follow this  
Max Branning

Change of direction

I was recently speaking to a guy at the auctions who previously had a medium size forecourt stocking around 30 - 40 cars at the sub 5k level. He has recently decided to have a change of direction and is now operating from a small unit stocking around 5 or 6 classic / prestige stuff. When i asked him how it was going he beamed and said it is the happiest he has been in 20 years ! even though he is making less money !

He is in his late 50s so maybe just a slowing down phase before retirement in 10 years or so but it has got me thinking about being happy in the job and looking at other avenues within the trade that bring more happiness and less headaches..!

Has anyone else here had a change of direction in the business and how did it affect you?

Actually considered this several times over the years Max and know a few who've done just that. Lower overheads and costs are a big factor but also the fact you don't need a huge amount of staff. I've got 2 fulltime salesman, 1 part time, 1 manager/buyer,1 valeter, 1 driver, 2 admin/office/payroll/accounts, 3 mechanics, 1 apprentice (my grandson so guess doesn't count ) and dealing with staff issues takes up huge part of my day, my biggest headache, sick/maternity pay/pension/H&S/contracts/finding the right staff/sacking (thankfully not done for years) all the bloody red tape that comes with employing people. Friend of mind sold his 30 car pitch to developers for flats, sat at home for 6 months, got bored and now rents a small, out of town unit, pays buttons for it, view by appointment only, decent hours, selling around 5-6 cars a month, preps them himself and loves it, says he should have done it years ago. He still makes decent money and doesn't want more sales "Last thing I want is to employ someone"

• Like 2