MJG50

Registering Sales Car in Own Name / Gap in Road Tax

I'm considering registering one of my own car sales cars in my own name to use as a daily driver. If I register the car in my own name, should I put the date of keeper change as today or when I bought the car at the block in January? One advantage of putting January is that if I end up selling the car to something like We Buy Any Car I'll have been the registered keeper for 6 months a lot quicker :)

The car has been 'in trade' since January and has not been taxed since.

I'm just worried that if I put January down for the keeper change, the DVLA might investigate why there has been a gap in the road tax between January and now and whether it will be ok to explain that I am a dealer and that the car was initially bought to sell and used on trade plates but now I've decided to tax and run the car as my own.

Am I right in thinking that if a car is 'in trade' the DVLA do not expect it to be taxed during this period? 

I saw something online a while back showing a sample page of how to tax a car online and as there was a gap in the SORN date on the sample car, the message about the DVLA investigating a gap came up.

It's not really a big deal if I have to put today's date rather than January but I would prefer to put January unless the gap in tax causes a headache.

You normally just have to declare that the vehicle has not been used on a public highway during the period of no tax.

That said, I have never done what you're trying to do - only from SORN