Sign in to follow this  
RhinoHorn

GDPR - thoughts on this?

Further to my previous thread and my difficulty in obtaining service history (all I want it date of service, mileage and what work was carried out) I got in touch with the ICO to find out if what I was asking was unreasonable. This was their response:

Article 4 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) defines personal data as "an identifier such as name, identification number, location data, an online identifier or one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity."

Ultimately, if the information you are requesting does not fall into this category, it may not fall within the scope of the GDPR. This means that the Manufacturers on this occasion could be misinterpreting the legislation.

Thoughts? It seems to me that what I am asking is not unreasonable and the information I require should be given to me.

The point here is "personal data". Confirming dates / mileage of services and repairs of an inanimate object is not covered nor has ever been covered by the old DPA or the new GDPR.  You are not asking for personal information, you are simply doing what any responsible dealer would do by clarifying its history.

That's my interpretation......