Sign in to follow this  
Philip Nothard

Is it a 'Month of Two Halves'?

Have you noticed much change throughout the month, in terms of supply, condition and values?

With footfall across the Franchise Dealers being reported as up to 14% year-on-year, will or can the stock supply keep up with demand?

The manufacturers are starting to push hard for increased targets, and they are certainly all not intending to go backwards this year against 2013.  We are consistently discussing the issue around ‘old’ pre-registered cars that are still sat on dealer’s forecourts from last year and what they are going to do.

Performance month to date is certainly interesting, with a reasonably level result but with some high winners and poor losers behind the scenes.

There had been conversations prior to the New Year, that larger groups, Supermarkets, etc. didn't need to worry about stock for the January sales, as there would be plenty from the CH/L come January - is that the case?  Contrary to this, there's been selected dealer groups actively marketing to purchase much-needed  stock... 

What’s your view?

Died a fortnight ago for us. Absolutely dead.

Anything going through the hall that ticks a few boxes is making bonkers money, whether it be down south or up north. You then search a few days later on AT (as you do) to see where it ended up and yet again are left scratching your head as to what it's retailing for. Some seem to be working on such small margins that I just can't see a future in it bearing in mind the recon a second hand car needs these days plus all the usual deal factors. Then, on the other side of the coin you have dealers having paid way over book for stuff asking new shape money for old shape Mondeo's and C5's for example. Complete madness IMO.

Here we are in the second half of Jan and numbers in the hall in the auctions I use are noticeably down on the first half of Jan but demand clearly isn't so I'm now trying to buy more in hope than expectation. No wonder I'm losing my hair!!